It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

penarth bloke

Re: Metro

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I welcome the opening or reopening of any railway station. The Victoria Park station would be useful in the context of the Paper Mill development as the railway line is only metres from it, I suppose it depends if the main line or local line is used. Regarding Rover Way and St Mellons, there is scope for either national, regional or local services as on that stretch there are two lines in each direction so there is some flexibility. I would hope such developments would be part of the proposed Metro and would hope that in due course, there would be integration with bus services to include joint ticketing and timetabling as happens in cities all over the world.

murfilicious

PostTue May 09, 2017 8:11 am

Thought I'd share some pictures of the ongoing upgrade to Radyr Station, according to the Welsh Government website work should have completed early April, but I come here quite often and have yet to see anybody doing any work beyond about 1:00pm...

Anyway, here's what we're getting:
a new ticket office building
additional cycle shelters
new enclosed platform shelters
additional CCTV and lighting
a new park and ride, next to the station, off De Clare Drive.

Here's the new ticket office building

The new P&R overflow car park
The new shelters on the platforms

The previously built lifts and walkway over the platforms (for those who haven't seen them).

As you can see, work is continuing at a glacial pace but I think the workmen are splitting their time between here and Llandaf Station (which is having a similar upgrade). Good to see some much needed improvements, just wish work was progressing a bit faster...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

RandomComment

PostTue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

Isn't the Llandaf upgrade complete? Its the station I use when in Cardiff and the new access, bridge and lifts was completed last year. I don't think they are doing anything more?

Jantra

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:16 am

murfilicious wrote:Thought I'd share some pictures of the ongoing upgrade to Radyr Station, according to the Welsh Government website work should have completed early April, but I come here quite often

no doubt with notebook, pencil and thermos in hand

:mrgreen:

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:42 am

RandomComment wrote:Isn't the Llandaf upgrade complete? Its the station I use when in Cardiff and the new access, bridge and lifts was completed last year. I don't think they are doing anything more?

No, I use Llandaf regularly and it's at a very similar stage to Radyr.

RandomComment

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
RandomComment wrote:Isn't the Llandaf upgrade complete? Its the station I use when in Cardiff and the new access, bridge and lifts was completed last year. I don't think they are doing anything more?

What else are they doing there then? A new shelter? (Hopefully not demolishing the existing one on the Cardiff-bound side!). Because when I was last there in early March the bridge and lifts were completed and in operation.

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

RandomComment wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

What else are they doing there then? A new shelter? (Hopefully not demolishing the existing one on the Cardiff-bound side!). Because when I was last there in early March the bridge and lifts were completed and in operation.

A new ticket office. I was there last Thursday and they'd made as much progress on it as they have in Radyr. I don't think that the access or car park are quite finished yet either. http://gov.wales/topics/transport/rail/ ... n/?lang=en

If you are lucky enough to live near a station in the Valley Lines area the off peak service is pretty good in terms of punctuality and frequency. I've taken the train, from Penarth, to various places over the past few months and only once or twice have their been any delays. I appreciate that the experience for commuters isn't quite so pleasant.

I've got an appointment at UHW tomorrow morning, quite early, and it is easier for me to take the train from Penarth than it is to drive through rush hour traffic. I don't think there is as much of a need to electrify the lines to Penarth and Barry as there is to electrify/double track the lines to Treherbert, Aberdare, Merthyr and Rhymney. Also, the proposed stations at Ely Mill and Newport Road must be prioritised to end the ridiculous lack of rail provision in the east and west of Cardiff,

Mathew5

PostWed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Further to the pics from Llandaf; they have completed the new shelter on the up platform. It really looks amazing and might offer us a clue in terms of the metro branding. Red lines with high quality wooden seating. I have taken pics but don't know how to attach them as this forum seems really old fashioned

Zach

PostWed May 17, 2017 7:29 pm

this forum seems really old fashioned
:lol:

Insert the photo url in between the two imgage brackets click Img above.
The photo must first be uploaded somewhere to the web.
Try this one.
https://postimage.io/

Or you could just send us your Snapchat link sonny :mrgreen:

Your as ever.
Grandad.

Mathew5

PostWed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

[img]url=https://postimg.org/image/ijcoiyoyx/][img]https://s4.postimg.org/ijcoiyoyx/IMG_5590.jpg[/img][/url]

free photo hosting[/img]
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum