It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Metro

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 pm

I would submit my conjecture that copper had more to do with the early growth of the Royal Navy and subsequent rise in power of Great Britain on a world stage, rather than anything to do with coal.
Copperopolis, and our dear, dear friends in Swansea must take that credit. :evil:
But, this industrialisation, far from exploiting Wales, propelled it into the new industrial age and it gained greater prosperity.
Its not the UK's fault that a post industrial Wales hasn't managed to re-invent itself, instead seeking a greater share of UK taxation rather than relying on its own increased GVA.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Well whatever comes of this spat at least there's solid progress in the Llandaf area! :lol:

Zach

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Why is there only one f'in Llandaff ?

I thought equal prominence should be given to both languages, I must write to the Language Commissioner asap. :lol:

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Because the standardised spelling is actually Llandaf. Next.

Zach

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Because the standardised spelling is actually Llandaf. Next.

really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandaff

http://www.llandaffcathedral.org.uk/

http://www.llandaffcity.co.uk/

I can't find any examples on-line that has one F.
Mathew, please share you source on how this is the standardised spelling?

found it....
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-sign-two-llandaff-spellings-1848419

I'm afraid Mathew this just sums you up, so nobody other than 16 complaints and hey presto another £2000 of tax payers money wasted.

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Zach, all railway stations in mainland Britain have standardised spellings.

Now kindly fuck off you gaping, petulant cunt.

jones4891

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Ummm...? ^^ I'm only an occasional contributor so realise my voice isn't the loudest on here, but surely no need for that kind of language. Is this the kind of forum we want?

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 pm

It's the kind of forum Zach wants and has caused.

Alvear24

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Mathew5 wrote:Zach, all railway stations in mainland Britain have standardised spellings.

Now kindly fuck off you gaping, petulant cunt.

I too am a regular reader but infrequent contributor, but these recent posts have really made me chuckle on a Friday pm in work.

Clearly in this instance the bait has been taken hook line and sinker, but I think Zach makes another pertinent point beneath it all.....this is the essence of why Welsh language policy is divisive.

I recently heard a comment on a completely different issue (female equality) which highlighted that when you are a minority, as Welsh speakers are, you shouldn't focus and invest time on the inconsequentials (in this example, the use of personal pronouns). The very existence of your language is at stake, and you get irate at the use of an 'f'?? See the bigger picture.

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm not getting irate about the existence of an 'f'. I couldn't care less. But railway stations have standardised names which Zach doesn't understand.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum