It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Metro

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm

In terms of getting TOC cooperation on branding it's easy enough to seperate the brand from the operator. ScotRail remained ScotRail after First took over the franchise from National Express.

It's an interesting question as to how the Metro brand would relate to other rail services. For instance the Maesteg - Cardiff service uses the same trainsets as Cardiff - Cheltenham. Do you apply the Metro brand to the entire route - or what? I guess the obvious solution is to apply some sort of dual-branding similar to Iarnród Éireann / DART in Dublin.

Jantra

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I don't think branding is important - by that I mean all modes of transport don't need to share the same livery. Manchester, a city I'm familiar with, has two main bus operators (with several smaller operators ), a tram network and several local rail operators all who have their own livery.

Efforts for stylised branding really are a nice to have rather than a necessity.

I also don't buy into you need bureaucracy to make things happen. Three years ago the lackwits in Cardiff City Hall decided they wanted a conference centre. Three years later and we have nothing whereas Terry Matthews decides he wants one and six months later tge Celtic manor has submitted a planning application. If you really want something to happen you will make it happen

Simon_SW17

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:15 am

Yet another article outlining the importance of the Metro and yet still no movement;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/south-wales-metro-system-vital-8099304

Someone needs to grasp the nettle and at least get the machine moving on the bay tram line. It will be years until anything gets built so let's get a shift on! This was first proposed in 1997 which is nearly 18 years now.

Ash

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 9:39 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Yet another article outlining the importance of the Metro and yet still no movement;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/south-wales-metro-system-vital-8099304

“Cardiff is taking the lead in terms of bringing forward projects which will be fully aligned with the bigger city region connectivity."

Jesus! What a load of jargon-filled, cliche-ridden bollocks. Basically the man states the bleeding obvious but has to use every buzz-word in the book while doing so. I don't want to sound like Jantra... but do people have to speak like that?

Jantra

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 am

Ash wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:Yet another article outlining the importance of the Metro and yet still no movement;

“Cardiff is taking the lead in terms of bringing forward projects which will be fully aligned with the bigger city region connectivity."

Jesus! What a load of jargon-filled, cliche-ridden bollocks. Basically the man states the bleeding obvious but has to use every buzz-word in the book while doing so. I don't want to sound like Jantra... but do people have to speak like that?

you say that as if it's a bad thing

:mrgreen:

Kyle

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 pm

It is a pile of bollocks isn't it?

Where's the progress update? How's the rebranding going? What services are we likely to see integrated first or rebranded first? To me all those things are as important as developing new railway lines or new stations.

LocalResident

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Looks like something is going to happen in 2015 regarding the Metro! And that is.....

another report.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/road-map-next-15-years-8226828
:|

Still will be interesting to see what deadlines they intend on hitting.

Jantra

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 7:15 pm

It would be nice to see a deadline for the report writing stage so we can move on to the shovels in ground stage.

penarth bloke

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 8:14 pm

As I see it, there is no culture of public transport use in the Greater Cardiff area similar to tube use in London and since I see the metro system as the glue that binds the area together, its important that such, colour scheme and full integration of services. It would be useful if metro rail and bus stations also had facilities such as newsagents, coffee shop and the like to make them attractive to passengers.

eric

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:35 pm

I've said before that most of the metro plans are simply a wishlist, the members here could have come up with the big ticket stuff, a tram costing millions, line extensions costing millions............the realistic stuff sewta had already planned and will slowly come online, see pyle corner etc.
where is the money coming from for anything else? its a massively subsidised system we have now and with huge investment needed for electrification and investment to make electrification work, all new rolling stock for valley lines? new stations etc.
meanwhile what you will get is those who wrote about the metro brought in on an easy ride ticket and lots of regular updates that say nothing but keep the voteing public think that something great is going to happen.
Poor old sewta, much maligned, gone, but really needs a realistic replacement to really focus rather than an industry and consultant wish list
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum