It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

NorthCityBoy

Re: Metro

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I wonder if anyone can shed some light. I’ve noticed recently that, as a consequence of the engineering works on the mainline, that there have been replacement buses on the Cardiff - Ebbw Vale line which has been shut for several weeks.
The question is, have they taken this valuable opportunity to complete the extending of the passing loop on this line which was supposed to have been completed, I think, around a year or two ago?

dazplott

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Baysailor wrote:The bi-mode switchover doesn’t instantaneously happen. The diesel engine is shut down and the electric motor started (or the other way around). As you wouldn’t want to stop and do this on the mainline, maybe it makes sense to electrify a stretch off it to allow the train to convert power source.

I thought these bi-mode trains were primarily electric - that is to say that they have electric traction motors on the axels. Power for these motors can come either from the overhead lines or from Diesel engines (generators) located in some of the carriages. If this is the case then you would think the switchover could be fairly instantaneous - there may be some momentarily loss of power (which could be mitigated by small batteries), but it doesn’t seem like something that could only be done while the train is stationary.

MrJamesBrown

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Msmurf wrote:But why is this neccesary for bi-mode trains...? It is no wonder that the cost overruns were so large!

It is a common part of Electrification. Remember not all trains are Bi-mode. Additionally if reduces complexity when other lines are extended as the main line does not need to be closed for the electrification 'join' to be completed.

halfnhalf wrote:they only change power while stopped according to me mate who knows
they have really are going slow getting the lines to cardiff
i could do it meself quicker

IIRC there are some parts on the line to London where trains can change whilst moving, However the section needs to be reinforced to avoid the wires coming down. Also the change has to be be planned especially if going from Electric to Diesel for the engines to 'warm up.'

Lyndon

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:17 pm

It's really happening:

UK: Stadler Rail has been confirmed as preferred bidder to supply a total of 71 trainsets for use on the next Wales & Borders franchise from 2022.

The Swiss company is to supply 36 three-car Citylink tram-train vehicles for use on South Wales Metro services from Cardiff to Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil. These would be able to operate under the planned 25 kV 50 Hz electrification as well as on battery power. This will permit the use of discontinuous electrification, avoiding the complexity, disruption and expense of installing overhead equipment in challenging locations such as tunnels and bridges with restricted clearances. Battery power would also be used on a proposed street-running extension of the Cardiff Bay branch line to Flourish and potentially other proposed extensions in the Cardiff area.

Stadler will also supply 35 Flirt multiple-units. Of these, 11 will be diesel multiple-units for use on services to Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Cheltenham. There will also be seven three-car and 17 four-car tri-mode units capable of running on diesel, 25 kV 50 Hz overhead electric and battery power. These are scheduled to enter service on cross-Cardiff routes from 2023, using diesel power on the Vale of Glamorgan, Barry and Penarth routes south of the city and electric power to Rhymney and Coryton lines to the north. The use of battery power will avoid the need for costly modifications to 55 bridges along the routes, particularly north of Caerphilly.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/wales-borders-electric-train-order-confirmed.html

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm

It's such a game changing project. It's going way too smoothly...

Bluegazza

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Went to the vue cinema today and on the way in saw a three carriage train pulling into central station with red livery, could this be the first of the metro trains? (possibly one of the five refurbished underground trains).

I wasn't quick enough to take a photo so keep an eye out train spotters!

Simon_SW17

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:03 am

The ex underground D Trains aren't due until early next year and they're for north Wales. Not sure which train you saw. No one's gonna miss the insipid turquoise ATW livery though.

Bluegazza

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am

It did look alot smarter maybe it is a sort of trial train to check stations etc. Or maybe i was hallucinating

jones4891

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 3:45 pm

A bit of analysis from CityMetric.com

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/so ... -vale-4235

RandomComment

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/transport-wales-arriva-keolis-amey-15280801

Slightly ridiculous article from WalesOnline. I mean were they expecting all trains to be repainted, rebranded, etc. over night? And for suddenly service to massively improve?

I suppose they're just using it as another hook to talk about the plans and the time ie it will take for meaningful change. But it just seems such a depressing place to work as a journalist with this pap. Anyone see the article about "we go help a lady find her lost car". I mean, come on! come on!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum