It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Metro

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 3:06 am

i am not proposing running tram-trains on the SWML - but adjacent to it - effectively making 6 lanes berween Newport Road and Windsor Road.. There is a wide unused right of way already there to enable this. The planned Crossrail station at Newport Road is on the separate freight line and would need a pedestrian overbridge to connect to the 'relief line'/SWML stopping service platform which will be relocated to the northern pair of lines in the SEWTA proposals.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

dazplott

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 10:48 pm

Whilst there appears to be plenty of room to the south of the existing lines, I'm not sure they have have sufficiently protected this to accommodate a new pair of tracks. I don't think Splott Road and Beresford Road bridges were designed with this in mind when they were rebuilt for electrification. Theres also very little room between the existing tracks and Railway Gardens.

Msmurf

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 1:06 am

Fair points - there would need to be a detailed engineering assessment to identify any restrictions and bottlenecks - but I do believe this is doable. The SEWTA plans to switch the Main lines and Relief lines would involve some re-engineering and realignments in any case - so there is an opportunity to include provision for a tram line, whether fully twin tracked or resticted to single line in places if neccesary.

solaris

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Just an fyi...

The proposal to swap reliefs and mains on SWML has been canned....new relief line stations in development will be on the southern-most two tracks (the reliefs)..... and yes NR value engineering of GWEP and the bridge narrowing between Newport Rd and City Centre has effectively stymied any LR routing along that corridor. Crossrail tram-trains unlikely to use SWML - interchange at Newport Rd via new dedicated Crossrail platform linked to the new SWML relief line station... All in development, none of it funded yet!

solaris

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Just an fyi...

The proposal to swap reliefs and mains on SWML has been canned....new relief line stations in development will be on the southern-most two tracks (the reliefs)..... and yes NR value engineering of GWEP and the bridge narrowing between Newport Rd and City Centre has effectively stymied any LR routing along that corridor. Crossrail tram-trains unlikely to use SWML - interchange at Newport Rd via new dedicated Crossrail platform linked to the new SWML relief line station... All in development, none of it funded yet!

Msmurf

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm

When did SEWTA plan get canned? I assumed it was just proceeding at NR usual glacial speed...

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostMon May 22, 2023 1:04 pm

HELP REQUIRED!!
I've been wondering about the direct line from Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay? the track from top of bute st to bay is obvious, however from there to cardiff central? I've wondered how this will work?
So apparently there will be a dedicated platform south of cardiff central, and then the light rail/tram to travel through callaghan sq! but I couldn't find any info on specifics of this - planning docs or renders, so I'm still as confused as ever about this route. Please share if you have any info or a link to anything on the web.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon_SW17

PostMon May 22, 2023 2:56 pm

I don't think any plans have been drawn up or if they have they're not available online. There will apparently be 2 new platforms south of Cardiff Central but have no idea if this will then run on street to a ramp up to the current Bay line or if there will be an elevated railway.

Not sure if anyone in TfW reads this who could assist!

Msmurf

PostWed May 24, 2023 3:16 am

In the planning docs for the Callaghan Square South development, it shows an area reserved for the tram line hugging the plot. But i dont know if this is still the plan. Let me see if I can find.

Msmurf

PostWed May 24, 2023 3:19 am

Msmurf wrote:https://flic.kr/ps/3Qg2US

I have been looking at proposals for Cardiff Crossrail and trying to work out what it will look like by overlaying proposals in various masterplans.

The Crossrail proposal says that it will connect Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay and the only practical way to do this is by the line leaving Cardiff Central using the previous Riverside alignment - and then crossing Callaghan Square before joining up with the Cardiff Bay Line. There is a protected route in the Central Quay Masterplan with a proposed tram stop just to the south of the existing Cardiff Central South entrance.

There is also a protected route in the original Callaghan Square Masterplan to the south of the square and it doesnt take much guesswork to connect the two alignments. There is a new Callaghan Square Masterplan under development but it will almost certainly maintain the protected route.

After Callaghan Square the line would divide to the north and south with the Cardiff Circle line turning north and including a station at Herbert Street, with the Crossrail line turning south towards Loudon Sqare and Cardiff Bay.

Cardiff Council have also stated that they want to replace the existing Herbert Street bridge to widen the street below and enable realigning the road layout across Callaghan Square. I have assumed that the Herbert Street station would be situated immediatley to the north of the new bridge, but it could be incorporated onto the bridge itself.

A new bridge would also be needed over Bute Street, with the line rising up from street level.

This is pure speculation on my part, but the pieces all fit and I expect something very close to this to be built.

Bump

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185883845@N04/
Last edited by Msmurf on Wed May 24, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum