It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Re: Metro

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

RandomComment wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/transport-wales-arriva-keolis-amey-15280801

Slightly ridiculous article from WalesOnline. I mean were they expecting all trains to be repainted, rebranded, etc. over night? And for suddenly service to massively improve?

In the long history of absolutely pointless articles from WalesOnline that really is hitting new depths...

"It's been 24 hours since a new company was formed containing exactly the same staff, equipment and rolling stock and nothing has changed!? Where's the £5bn been spent?!"
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Simon_SW17

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 am

RandomComment wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/transport-wales-arriva-keolis-amey-15280801

Slightly ridiculous article from WalesOnline. I mean were they expecting all trains to be repainted, rebranded, etc. over night? And for suddenly service to massively improve?

I suppose they're just using it as another hook to talk about the plans and the time ie it will take for meaningful change. But it just seems such a depressing place to work as a journalist with this pap. Anyone see the article about "we go help a lady find her lost car". I mean, come on! come on!

I've seen quite a few posts on social media from people complaining that they've been delayed or their train cancelled under TfW. What did they think was going to happen overnight? Some cascaded trains are coming next year to help with extra services and to cover Sprinter modifications, but otherwise it's 2022 until new trains arrive.

Msmurf

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 pm

There is some interesting plans on TfW site including application for TfW to take over the core Valley lines from Network Rail. This includes the Aberdare to Hirwaun extension and also the Abertillery branch line. Also they want to take over the South Wales Main Line from Cardiff Central to Cardiff East junction. Does anyone know where this is and why it might be significant?
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Bishop84

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Msmurf wrote:There is some interesting plans on TfW site including application for TfW to take over the core Valley lines from Network Rail. This includes the Aberdare to Hirwaun extension and also the Abertillery branch line. Also they want to take over the South Wales Main Line from Cardiff Central to Cardiff East junction. Does anyone know where this is and why it might be significant?

According to this Rail Accident Investigation Branch the Cardiff East Junction is at the eastern end of Central Station:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... nction.pdf

Ash

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

The transfer of ownership of the core valley lines has already been agreed by the Welsh and UK Governments. It's due to take place in around a year's time.

I think the Cardiff East junction is the junction where lines diverge to Queen Street, so it's a very short stetch of track.

The Hirwaun and Abertileri ones are interesting. They've long been rumoured to be among the first Metro 'extentions', presumably during the so far unannounced plans for the second half of Keolis Amey's delivery contract.

Msmurf

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 2:43 am

Ahhh so the Cardiff East comnent is not significant. But I agree about the Hirwaun and Abertileri branches. Both potentially good news.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum