It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm


Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 379
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: Metro

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 5:38 pm

There's £160m + between UK Gov, Welsh Government, City Deal and private investment (Rightacres).
Offline

Cwlcymro

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 am

Re: Metro

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Kyle wrote:The BBC article isn't as clear as the Walesonline one

It's over 50million for Cardiff, plus I think money has already been pledged by the Welsh Government and the City Region deal.

At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong please.


I hope you are right....could do with some clarity...


WalesOnline article is quite clear that this is £78m total. £58m for Cardiff Central and £20m for Swansea

For Cardiff Central that makes pledges of:

£58m UK govt
£40m City Region
£40m Welsh Govt (but some of that is for the bus station)

Estimated costs for Central was £120m
Offline
User avatar

Msmurf

  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

Re: Metro

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Cwlcymro wrote:
Msmurf wrote:
Kyle wrote:The BBC article isn't as clear as the Walesonline one

It's over 50million for Cardiff, plus I think money has already been pledged by the Welsh Government and the City Region deal.

At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong please.


I hope you are right....could do with some clarity...


WalesOnline article is quite clear that this is £78m total. £58m for Cardiff Central and £20m for Swansea

For Cardiff Central that makes pledges of:

£58m UK govt
£40m City Region
£40m Welsh Govt (but some of that is for the bus station)

Estimated costs for Central was £120m


That article has been updated as the original article definitely didnt say that...!
But I am happier with that version.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Offline
User avatar

Msmurf

  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

Re: Metro

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Cwlcymro wrote:
Msmurf wrote:
Kyle wrote:The BBC article isn't as clear as the Walesonline one

It's over 50million for Cardiff, plus I think money has already been pledged by the Welsh Government and the City Region deal.

At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong please.


I hope you are right....could do with some clarity...


WalesOnline article is quite clear that this is £78m total. £58m for Cardiff Central and £20m for Swansea

For Cardiff Central that makes pledges of:

£58m UK govt
£40m City Region
£40m Welsh Govt (but some of that is for the bus station)

Estimated costs for Central was £120m


Rightacres are also pitching in £20m - or is that for Interchange only?
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Offline

Frank

  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Metro

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Does anyone know the possibility of adding a branch to the Rhymney line between Heath High and Llanishen? It could go past the reservoir/Corpus Christi and end up at Cardiff Gate. A station there could be a possible park and ride off the M4 junction. And there are plenty of houses set to be built in that area.

The other one is the line to Creigau from Fairwater. Again I think it could be done with minimal compulsory purchase.
Offline

penarth bloke

  • Posts: 105
  • Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 am

Re: Metro

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Frank wrote:Does anyone know the possibility of adding a branch to the Rhymney line between Heath High and Llanishen? It could go past the reservoir/Corpus Christi and end up at Cardiff Gate. A station there could be a possible park and ride off the M4 junction. And there are plenty of houses set to be built in that area.

The other one is the line to Creigau from Fairwater. Again I think it could be done with minimal compulsory purchase.


I've made such suggestions in the past. There's a narrow strip of land north of South Rise where a track could be laid and beyond that is open countryside to Cardiff Gate. As far as a route to Creigau is concerned, the houses near Fairwater would have to be demolished, beyond that, its again mostly open countryside. I suspect all hell would break out, if such projects were seriously considered.
Offline

Bishop84

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Metro

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 7:45 pm

penarth bloke wrote:
Frank wrote:Does anyone know the possibility of adding a branch to the Rhymney line between Heath High and Llanishen? It could go past the reservoir/Corpus Christi and end up at Cardiff Gate. A station there could be a possible park and ride off the M4 junction. And there are plenty of houses set to be built in that area.

The other one is the line to Creigau from Fairwater. Again I think it could be done with minimal compulsory purchase.


I've made such suggestions in the past. There's a narrow strip of land north of South Rise where a track could be laid and beyond that is open countryside to Cardiff Gate. As far as a route to Creigau is concerned, the houses near Fairwater would have to be demolished, beyond that, its again mostly open countryside. I suspect all hell would break out, if such projects were seriously considered.


IIRC the line to Creigau is in the plans for the Metro as part of the 'Cardiff Crossrail' line. One of the posts on the previous page shows the plans. Although whether it makes it from the planning stage to reality is anyone's guess.
Offline
User avatar

Msmurf

  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

Re: Metro

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 am

The line from Llanishen to Cardiff Gate was evaluated in the early proposals and rejected. However it might be resurrected in a form of BCR (bus) route.
Last edited by Msmurf on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Offline
User avatar

Msmurf

  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

Re: Metro

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 am

penarth bloke wrote:
Frank wrote:Does anyone know the possibility of adding a branch to the Rhymney line between Heath High and Llanishen? It could go past the reservoir/Corpus Christi and end up at Cardiff Gate. A station there could be a possible park and ride off the M4 junction. And there are plenty of houses set to be built in that area.

The other one is the line to Creigau from Fairwater. Again I think it could be done with minimal compulsory purchase.


I've made such suggestions in the past. There's a narrow strip of land north of South Rise where a track could be laid and beyond that is open countryside to Cardiff Gate. As far as a route to Creigau is concerned, the houses near Fairwater would have to be demolished, beyond that, its again mostly open countryside. I suspect all hell would break out, if such projects were seriously considered.


That is the plan. Between 6 & 12 houses would need to go. I dont think hell will be breaking loose except from the individuals concerned. This is definitley a case of the greater good.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Offline

Frank

  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Metro

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Disappointing if the route was ruled out to Cardiff Gate. Heath would become an interchange for three different lines, we've talked before about the rail difficulties of east Cardiff and once new houses get built it will be too late to do anything.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests