It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LocalLurker

Re: Metro

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Shhhhh, Cardiff get's everything, remember :lol:

Rhodri

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Get Cardiff right and the rest of south Wales will follow.

solaris

Simon_SW17

PostSun Nov 29, 2015 12:52 am

Very disappointing to see that any bay extension or city centre light rail are planned for post 2023. I seem to remember the WG talking about starting work on the link to the bay within phase one a couple of years back.

LocalResident

PostSun Nov 29, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm hopeful that if/when the city deal is agreed, we will see a bit more being delivered before 2023.
Surely station "enhancements" and "modernising" the existing network is just standard for any government or private company that is responsible for keeping a rail network running.
Hopefully we will get details on single ticketing solution and new light rail line(s) once the money is made available.

The pessimistic side of me is worried this could become another M4 relief road, and 25 years after proposal there will still not be any real measurable progress.

Jantra

PostSun Nov 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Does anyone really think the welsh civil service and public sector is capable of delivering projects of this magnitude? I don't. How long have we known we have needed an upgraded m4? How long have we known about the falling pax numbers at CWL? How long has it taken to finish the PDR (and even then the queensgate south extension is not going to be a continuous road).

Rather, the dingbats in the welsh state and civil service prefer implementing populist policies that provide easy votes but don't generate long term economic advantages.

We've been talking about the metro for years, the bay link even longer. I remember the welsh government t and cardiff it council committing something like 2m per annum each to redeveloping callaghan square each year and this was around 4 or 5 years ago. Since then we've seen nothing.

I won't hold my breath regarding the metro despite me wishing it would happen. We just don't have the political class.

Ash

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 am

Finally some meat on the bone of what phase 2 of the Metro actually involves.

As I read it, trams are to replace trains on the Rhymney, Coryton, Treherbert, Aberdare, Merthyr and Cardiff Bay lines while the WG are rowing back on electrification for the VoG, Maesteg and Ebbw Vale lines. The scheme is due to be delivered between 2017 and 2023.

Any one would think there was an Assembly election coming up. I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/south-wales-metro-vision-set-10521471

solaris

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Its really happening....

Simon_SW17

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 9:23 pm

I saw one of the posters mentioned in this article in Queen St station the other day and laughed. Metro coming soon or something of that ilk. Yeah right. Not one firm plan in place. :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35189338

EDIT: I take it all back, was down the bay earlier and look what's running! :lol:

Zach

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 11:39 pm

I am not a fan of the Lib Dems but they have a point, shameless electioneering by Assembly Labour.
Spending (your) money on glossy posters and spin but sod all on actually doing anything.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum