It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

What is the magical story

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

What is the magical story

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm

So will Cardiff ever have a true skyscraper. Will we ever get a good 400 foot 40 story building?

Or are we destined to have a number of 25 story high rises

Rhodri

Re: What is the magical story

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Central Quay or Callaghan Square are the best locations for height.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Rhodri wrote:Central Quay or Callaghan Square are the best locations for height.

Hopefully the tower planned for Custom House St will still happen but it's looking unlikely to be student accommodation. If this tower is completely a non-starter then surely the proposed developer Watkin-Jones would be obliged to re-open the pedestrian route that the site is currently blocking? Other than this as previously stated Central Quay and Callaghan Sq would be logical areas for buildings of a more significant height. Perhaps also the site of the motorpoint arena if and when we get the 15ish thousand Bay arena.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 am

It's a good question actually. The Hope Street/Custom House Street tower is the only one we have planned at all, and that's clearly stalled for whatever reason.

I'd love a tower of that height, but maybe one of these private rental schemes is now more likely than any student housing tower. I'd take one or two above 30 floors, we haven't even hit that height in the city yet let alone 40 floors. I think that will depend on how the 20ish floor schemes go at Central Square and Capital Quarter over the next few years though.

What I would prefer is a dozen 25 floor towers of a decent quality than one lonely 40 floor tower though.

I think Central Quay is the most likely location now, I'd agree with that. The Motorpoint arena site and Rapport site are both candidates though. I quite fancy maybe 3 towers there between both sites.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

Cardiff has hit 30, the brand new student accommodation on Churchall Way is 32. John Street tower is proposed to be 30+.

jonbvn

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 am

I think a lot depends on the developers keeping the student accommodation scam going.

Kyle

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:14 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:Cardiff has hit 30, the brand new student accommodation on Churchall Way is 32. John Street tower is proposed to be 30+.

I don't think so, it's around 25 floors isn't it? The slightly taller Herbert Street tower currently
under construction is only 26. What I have forgotten though is the Hallinan's House replacement towers on Newport road, where the tallest will clear 30 floors. You'd like to think that is still going ahead because Howells have already moved out and it's a scheme that they are a part of.

Also the John street tower is around 27 floors isn't it? Or did the revised outline planning take it over 30?
It'll be quite a bit taller than the student towers though because the bottom few floors are offices with each floor being higher.

Edit: yes, 27, see below

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wales/27-storey-tower-block-poised-for-green-light

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum