It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:07 am

Guildford Crescent

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Guildford Crescent

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:The map on page 4 of this link shows that the only “old” buildings in the city centre (west and north of the railway lines) not to be part of a conservation area are those on Guildford Street and Guildford Terrace plus the Golden Cross.

It's not in a conservation area but the Golden Cross is a listed building so it's protected in another way. IIRC it's the internal and external tiling that were the reasons for the listing.

Ash

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47028952

While I still think the terrace should be preserved, this article suggests that the situation is more nuanced than it appears and that the Rapports may not be as rapacious as some (myself included) have suggested.

The article suggests that the businesses involved were on short-term leases at their own request as they knew that the buildings were due for demolition. According to the Rapports the Madeira took the opportunity to relocate (to Ty Madeira) while Gwdi Hw and Thai House chose not to.

I've no way of knowing the truth of these claims or otherwise but M.A Rapport would have done well to have made them earlier. The company does itself no favours in PR terms. Then again, maybe they think PR doesn't matter.

Ash

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 7:49 pm

Plans to demolish the buildings on Guildford Crescent in Cardiff where Gwdihw and Thai House used to be have been withdrawn.

Campaigners have reacted with joy at the news that the application has been withdrawn by the landowner Rapports.

It's understood the demolition plans have been withdrawn pending the outcome of discussions between the Rapport family and Cardiff council over a new masterplan for the area.

The new masterplan is aimed at regenerating a part of the city from Churchill Way down to Bute Terrace and across to the Admiral building.

Cardiff council confirmed that if the landowner wants to demolish the buildings in the future they will have to file a new application.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gwdihw-guildford-crescent-cardiff-demolish-16013346

RandomComment

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm not sorry to see the demolition plans on hold. From an aethetic perspective, whats there now is more interesting than another block.

But I did find the protests, etc, all rather over-dramatic. The buildings aren't worthy of listed status, especially given all the modifications - even the painting on the outside, etc. Given its such a short little row, its not even as if they are that important as placemakers.

It seems to me that ultimately the landlords should be free to decide what to do with the buildings. But also that if enough people want them to stay that the city council feels its worth reaching out the landlords to see if it can help facilitate development of other (less sensitive) plots as a quid pro quo for keeping the crescent - well thats fine too. Of course, under the proviso that whatever arrangement agreed is above board, subject to scrutiny, etc.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum