It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Callaghan Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Callaghan Square

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 4:46 pm

A bit of activity on the south side - is this the start of some of this...

Anybody ITK? carl?? :lol:

If so (and this plot seems to have been mentioned a fair bit in the media recently so it's quite likely) then Cardiff is going to be 'construction city' over the next couple of years! central square, capital quarter, sports village, that student block at windsor place and if Dumballs road plans come to fruition + a few more may come out of the woodwork!! I'm fancying a tower which could be mixture of hotel / redidential where they knocked the warehouse down in callaghan sq and it'll be of similar size to one that was apparently once planned for wood st!! :roll:

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

Re: Callaghan Square

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Site clearance ready for the corner plot (plot E04) in the picture above ?

The articles in relation to Capital Quarter number 2 over the last few days have mentioned that the Welsh Government are going to press ahead with this regardless, and potentially because they are in negotiations with Deloitte.

If that is true then good for them. They've bought this land with taxpayers money, so if they can get the building up and let it to someone like Deloitte then they can hopefully sell it on to an investment fund in the next couple of years and get their money back, and hopefully at a profit.

I know Righacres have effectively pleaded with them not to because of a danger of oversupply and their Capital Square project being affected, but I can't really say I can blame them.

To me having three relatively big offices going up over the next year or two is a really good sign the city is on the up and leaves a good impression.

redragon

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 7:39 pm

The vision of the Square, as shown in that render, doesn't really accommodate for any future metro, does it?

Kyle

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am

redragon wrote:The vision of the Square, as shown in that render, doesn't really accommodate for any future metro, does it?

Nope, and other than the corner building of plot E04 I'd ignore the rest of it. I'm always drawn to the bigger building next to it but I don't know of any other real plans for any of the other plots on Callaghan Square. The rest of it is still in the running for the potential conference centre and arena.

MrJamesBrown

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 8:09 pm

redragon wrote:The vision of the Square, as shown in that render, doesn't really accommodate for any future metro, does it?

Also wouldn't it make more sense for a metro to run in front of the Eversheds building if it was ever constructed then running up what looks like a pedestrianised Lower St Mary Street?

Could use a similar contruction style as they currently have in the centre of Manchester where the trams are on Street? But low level platforms to avoid them looking unsightly and have a stop in the square?

Kyle

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 10:00 am

MrJamesBrown wrote:

Also wouldn't it make more sense for a metro to run in front of the Eversheds building if it was ever constructed then running up what looks like a pedestrianised Lower St Mary Street?

Could use a similar contruction style as they currently have in the centre of Manchester where the trams are on Street? But low level platforms to avoid them looking unsightly and have a stop in the square?

If I remember rightly it's pretty much how the Luas works in Dublin isn't it ? They just have what looks like bus stops.

MrJamesBrown

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

Kyle wrote:
MrJamesBrown wrote:

If I remember rightly it's pretty much how the Luas works in Dublin isn't it ? They just have what looks like bus stops.

Not sure tbh, but generally trams are low floor unless they are heavy rail conversions.

Kyle

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Anyone know when plot E04 is likely to start construction ? There's been various rumours about Deloitte signing up for space at Callaghan Square south but no firm news yet, but at the same time there seem to be quite a few Discharge of Conditions in the planning applications every so often (some last week for example). I'm not sure if that means they are about to begin or not and wondered if anyone knew ?

Century Falcon

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 6:40 pm

There are site huts being installed and a digger has been busy... I took a walk through Canal Park and up to Callaghan Square to have a look on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised!

Kyle

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Century Falcon wrote:There are site huts being installed and a digger has been busy... I took a walk through Canal Park and up to Callaghan Square to have a look on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised!

Thanks, that's good to hear...really surprised there's been nothing in the press yet though
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum