It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

City Centre moving

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: City Centre moving

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 pm

20191010_163744.jpg
20191010_163744.jpg (212.57 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

If you click on the picture to expand

If you look at the map, the large area of green space close to the City Centre between Ely and Llandough.
If you look to the other side of Cardiff, there are plenty of houses and more being built. I will upload a map of this side as well

AlwaysBeBlue

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:48 pm

20191010_164435.jpg
20191010_164435.jpg (255.27 KiB) Viewed 10801 times

East Cardiff... further out from the City Centre and more built up, with a lot of housing projects.
Just seems like the West side of the City is not as built up with fewer projects for large scale housing

Ash

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:
20191010_163744.jpg

If you look at the map, the large area of green space close to the City Centre between Ely and Llandough.
If you look to the other side of Cardiff, there are plenty of houses and more being built. I will upload a map of this side as well

If you're referring to the area south of the A4232 then it comes under the Vale of Glamorgan council rather than Cardiff.

The way the city has grown over the decades is by local governemnt boundary changes bringing semi-rural areas from ajoining authorities inside the city boundaries which are then gradually developed.

Until 1938, for instance, the eastern boundary of the city was the river Rhymney. It was only after the 1938 boundary change that places like Rhymney, Llanrhumney, New Saint Mellons etc began to grow.

Similarly Llandaff, Rhiwbina and Whichurch became part of the city in the 1960's enabling developments like Danescourt, Pantmawr etc.

The last such change was in 1996 when the city expanded to include Creigiau and Pentyrch. That change is what has lead to the Plasdwr development.

The area you identify could become part of the city in future although Leckwith Ridge and wood provide a pretty formidable barrier to integrating it easily with the rest of the city.

Personally, I think Penarth should be a part of the city but you enter a whole world of pain if you tell Penarth people that!

AlwaysBeBlue

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Ash wrote:
AlwaysBeBlue wrote:
20191010_163744.jpg

If you're referring to the area south of the A4232 then it comes under the Vale of Glamorgan council rather than Cardiff.

The way the city has grown over the decades is by local governemnt boundary changes bringing semi-rural areas from ajoining authorities inside the city boundaries which are then gradually developed.

Until 1938, for instance, the eastern boundary of the city was the river Rhymney. It was only after the 1938 boundary change that places like Rhymney, Llanrhumney, New Saint Mellons etc began to grow.

Similarly Llandaff, Rhiwbina and Whichurch became part of the city in the 1960's enabling developments like Danescourt, Pantmawr etc.

The last such change was in 1996 when the city expanded to include Creigiau and Pentyrch. That change is what has lead to the Plasdwr development.

The area you identify could become part of the city in future although Leckwith Ridge and wood provide a pretty formidable barrier to integrating it easily with the rest of the city.

Personally, I think Penarth should be a part of the city but you enter a whole world of pain if you tell Penarth people that!

Yes that area, cant all be part of Vale of Glamorgan can it ?

Why would people from Penarth reject being part of the capital City of Wales ?

Ash

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Brawd, I feel your pain!

It is a bit ridiculous but that's the way Penarth people are!

DavidH71

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Penarthians do enjoy occupying their own niche - but looking at it from their point of view, what would they gain from being subsumed into a Greater Cardiff? As a relatively wealthy area, would they simply be a cash cow which Cardiff Council could milk to fund projects elsewhere in the city?

They already have to share an MP with Cardiff South - I think we have made them suffer enough...!

AlwaysBeBlue

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 am

DavidH71 wrote:Penarthians do enjoy occupying their own niche - but looking at it from their point of view, what would they gain from being subsumed into a Greater Cardiff? As a relatively wealthy area, would they simply be a cash cow which Cardiff Council could milk to fund projects elsewhere in the city?

They already have to share an MP with Cardiff South - I think we have made them suffer enough...!

Wouldn't people from Penarth also gain by even higher house prices. Just seems silly considering Penarth is closer to the City Centre than Tremorfa or Rumney

Frank

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 10:55 am

Why would house prices rise in Penarth?

I suspect the main issue is a desire to maintain a distinct community - integrate into Cardiff and it would be harder to stop new developments.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 11:24 am

Frank wrote:Why would house prices rise in Penarth?

I suspect the main issue is a desire to maintain a distinct community - integrate into Cardiff and it would be harder to stop new developments.

Part of the Capital City of Wales maybe.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum