It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 am

The Wales 'brand' in Cardiff

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: The Wales 'brand' in Cardiff

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 pm

No one knows of Wales outside the UK, even then no one in England could really tell you what attractions are here bar a few select places, also even the Welsh don't seem to know whats in Wales most of the time! A trip to north Wales by thos in the south is some kind of right of passage for most.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Wales has a bit of an identity crisis, and a lot I think stems from the Welsh Language. Do we really need it or can we say that's the history of Wales but it serves no purpose in the 21st century, which in my opinion is true.

Saying that Wales has some of the best beaches and general scenery in Europe, it's just not sold well and seems run by the older generation.

Cardiff is a great city, but I feel more could and should be done to promote it. We need to make Cardiff a true international city and not think of it as a large town.

The prospects are there, we just need the right people promoting the right things in the right way

Thewasp

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 8:25 am

Simply not true that no one knows of Wales outside the UK. Odd statement.

cardiffian

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am

"Cardiffian I dont know why you are do negative.
The last few weeks I have spent more time visiting the beautiful places we have here on our doorstep.
Wales is beautiful and has a heck of a lot to offer."

I'm just trying to be realistic, don't you think people locked down everywhere found the same in their individual localities?

"Saying that Wales has some of the best beaches and general scenery in Europe, it's just not sold well and seems run by the older generation."

Seriously are you being realistic, how extensively have you travelled? Beaches like those found in Wales are common place throughout the world.
Much of Wales scenery is just farmland, farmland is not impressive its a semi industrial use of previous wild land.

I suppose what I'm getting at is the underlying hint of nationalism and exceptionalism found in the idea that , "if only people knew what we have they would flock to it". People think that everywhere you go.

I'm not saying there are no great places here, but what I am saying is we are no exception.

Cardiff

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am

Thewasp wrote:Simply not true that no one knows of Wales outside the UK. Odd statement.

It really is true, other than the link to the Prince of Wales and fading knowledge of Diana there is no real link to what is here and what the country is about. We are not a separate country we are a region as most global people would see us, no different to Brittany/Catalonia/Bavaria except much poorer, further away and smaller. Many outside the UK know nothing of the country other than London and maybe some Harry Potter sites, a quick chat with anyone from another country highlights how unimportant and undesirable most see our country (and are shocked when they see places like Bath/Chester/Cardiff!).

Cardiffian is completely spot on, if you think there is a lot to see in our small little region, then imagine how much there is to see just across the border in England let alone the rest of the world. Its a distinctly Welsh attitude especially prevalent in the Valleys that its not worth leaving, because what we have here is amazing; well it is amazing but there is even more amazingness just 3 hours away and awesomeness across the channel that puts us to shame.

Our attitude needs to change from everything is awesome (which is a really insecure attitude, prevalent in that no one in Wales likes jokes about wales) and look at what is best in our country, how we can enhance and make it comparable to other parts of the world, and sell the shit out of it to people with money.

Msmurf

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 am

I travel extensively across the world and most (but not all) people are aware of Wales. In Europe, Germany seems to have least recognition....but then they do like things to be ordered!
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Wales for its size has some amazing scenery.. Snowden, Brecon, Peninsula.
It has some beautiful towns like Tenby, Tintern, Beddgelert, Merthyr Mawr that once had the largest sand dunes in Europe.
Portmeirion Village, the Gower, Monmouthshire

Castles which cover the whole of Wales and some of the best in the UK.

To say Wales is not spectacular for its size is crazy talk. Yes, more could and should be spent on tourism and some attention on Wales having a better identity, but it has a great starting point.

cardiffian

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 2:36 pm

"To say Wales is not spectacular for its size is crazy talk."

AlwaysBeBlue you are comparing to what? you think there are not castles, small towns, coasts and scenery else where?

If we can be realistic we could focus on what is truly likely to be interesting to a range of visitors, if we start promising the spectacular and they get here and don't find it, they won't be back.

All this reminds me of when I used to live in Newport, and they decided to do open top Bus tours, you would just cringe when you saw the couple of board tourists on top who where wondering what the hell they where doing there. :D

jones4891

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Wales has a bit of an identity crisis, and a lot I think stems from the Welsh Language. Do we really need it or can we say that's the history of Wales but it serves no purpose in the 21st century, which in my opinion is true.

Congratulations. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on the Internet today. The prize is yours.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 3:02 pm

jones4891 wrote:
AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Wales has a bit of an identity crisis, and a lot I think stems from the Welsh Language. Do we really need it or can we say that's the history of Wales but it serves no purpose in the 21st century, which in my opinion is true.

Congratulations. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on the Internet today. The prize is yours.

Explain yourself or are you just going to make a statement and run off?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum