It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

Carwyn the Caring

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Carwyn the Caring

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm

SPACCI wrote:I'm not making any excuses for Carwyn. The reason why it is relevant is that Arriva trains Wales is there to serve the people of Wales, UEFA doesn't. One of the players was Welsh and he isn't Welsh speaking. Why would he call on them to use the Welsh language or never return to Wales again? That doesn't happen for any other company, if so Saintsbury's wouldn't operate in Wales neither would Brains or it's Coffee #1 chain.

poor argument but assuming it isn't, ATW serves England as well as Wales and UEFA is there to promote football in Wales also.

SPACCI

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Due to a lacklustre attack. That is true but ATW does not do any journeys which are completely in England. FGW has services from London to Swansea and Carmarthen and doesn't feature any Welsh at all.

Jantra

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:42 pm

SPACCI wrote:Due to a lacklustre attack. That is true but ATW does not do any journeys which are completely in England. FGW has services from London to Swansea and Carmarthen and doesn't feature any Welsh at all.

so why hasn't Carwyn commented on FGW then? Why isn't he going to war with them? The fact is he would look a parochial tit if he tweeted all this and more to UEFA. I think he has learnt his lesson that professional politicians don't use twitter to comment on policy matters.

SPACCI

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Because it is not the Welsh franchise. As far as I'm aware FGW isn't given funding by WG.

Exactly. Why are you arguing then? UEFA and ATW are completely different entities. UEFA did have Welsh language signage which is good enough.

Jantra

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:54 pm

SPACCI wrote:Because it is not the Welsh franchise. As far as I'm aware FGW isn't given funding by WG.

Exactly. Why are you arguing then? UEFA and ATW are completely different entities. UEFA did have Welsh language signage which is good enough.

I am arguing about Carwyn not being consistent about fighting the Welsh language battle. The fact that ATW is part funded by WG is neither here nor there and should not have influenced Carwyn's decision in any way when making his comment on twitter. the fact he has kept schtum here says an awful lot about his consistency, or lack of it.

redragon

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Such a pointless thread.

SPACCI

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Well it is, sort of. Being part funded by the WG puts it in a grey area. ATW, as far as I am aware, isn't legally obligated to be completely bilingual, this may have changed but I don't pay much attention to what Meri Huws has to say. I still don't get what you're on about. You're trying to score points on Carwyn over the Welsh language when there are far easier points ti be scored against the fool.

Jantra

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm trying to point out that he doesn't apply his principles consistently. He will criticise ATW over the lack of welsh but not UEFA or CCS. The reason for the latter is he would look stupid in front of the international media.

SirBlah

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 5:04 am

But Arriva Wales is something that people have to deal with day to day, They provide a public service that people throughout wales -north and south relay on.
It's true that private companies don't have to provide Welsh language services, but Carwyn made an exception due to the fact that in the end the railways are an essential service. Football isn't.
It's not "consistent", but what is consistent to you? Do you want him to complain to every company that puts signs out in public to be translated in Welsh? If that's the case perhaps we should follow in Québec's footprints, and make in a law that every company and organization has to have every single piece of written text in Welsh, above the English, with mandatory font sizes. Does that sound consistent to you? Though I get the feeling, looking at your past posts, that you would rather the Welsh government pull all funding for the language, because who needs it, really?
Of course, doing so would lead to a fracture within Welsh society, people went on hunger strikes to get a Welsh language broadcaster, they protest and continue to protest that the government isn't doing enough to secure a future for the language, and honestly they should, we probably aren't doing enough, I went though education doing the manditory Welsh lessons and from them I can't really remember anything at all, let alone having any level of fluency. We should be starting earlier, we should be providing opportunities for Welsh speakers to immerse themselves within the Welsh medium, to make sure that Welsh is no longer seen as a 2rd class language, and to try and reverse the damage that was created though generations of the "Welsh Not" and other such things.

And so, Carwyn, having what some people see as the absolute audacity to ask Arriva on Twitter to turn on Welsh announcements in Cardiff's second largest railway station, which had already been prerecorded years ago, for the decency of Welsh speaking people, many of whom feel more comfortable speaking and conversing in the medium of Welsh, is really the least he could of asked for.

Plus, Carwyn seemed a bit pissed at Arriva, but then of course he is, everyone is a bit pissed off at Arriva at this point, because other then Northern Rail perhaps, Arriva Wales is one of the worse train operating companies in the whole of the UK, everything about them, the horrible buses-on-rails trains they run up the valleys, the filthy, litter filled insides, the badly looked after stations run on a shoestring budget with an utter lack of even basic facilities, trains never being on time, then skipping stations in a desperate attempt to keep to the timetable, crowds of people in rush hour squished into tiny 2 car trains, 4 cars if your lucky. Then the fact that, even after the platforms were extended to accommodate 6 car trains, I've only ever seen a 6 car train run once -late at night, seamingly because they couldn't invest in buying a few more of the cheap, crappy buses-on-rails to run. The sooner we throw out Arriva and replace them with a publically run organisation of some sort (TFL would be a good model to follow) the better, plus hopefully when they do so they'll have Welsh language services legally cemented into the everyday running on the organisation, that way Carwyn won't have to act "inconsistently" as you put it.

Jantra

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 10:51 am

1. I am not against the language, my children attend Welsh medium education as being bilingual from an early age was important to us as parents.

2. I'm not arguing the point about language at all or the fact that Carwyn thinks it is a worthy cause or otherwise. I am pointing out his hypocrisy. The fact is that Carwyn complained about ATW (in the most unprofessional manner possible) due to their one time lack of Welsh usage on a busy day. Yet seemingly UEFA who were using the CCS which was part funded using Cardiff City Council funds (regarding the land), get away scot free. Why is that?

the simple truth is that Carwyn thought he could bully ATW whereas in this case he realised publicly branding UEFA in the same light would look very parochial and make him appear the noddy politician that we all know he is.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum