It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 am

The Capitol

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

The Capitol

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 5:16 pm

I notice the Capitol Shopping Centre has rebranded as "The Capitol" and promising 'something new', which to be fair it has been promising for a fair few years now:

http://www.capitolcardiff.co.uk

Simon_SW17

Re: The Capitol

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 9:12 pm

Maybe it's a tenant? :D

Looks like there's some external work planned by the colour scheme, which would be nice. Much work required inside though.

LRcardiff

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am

Hope it’s more than external work…. And that any external work includes a new entrance by queen street station.

It’s such a shame Premier Cinema shut but I don’t think another one will reopen there, Cardiff is well served for cinema screens.

I thought the final nail in the coffin came when not even Pret lasted there.

elgdav

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:49 am

Simon_SW17

PostThu Aug 24, 2023 5:16 pm

The Howell's development has made me think of the Marie Celeste that is The Capitol. Has anyone heard of anything actually happening?

They have had 'Something New is Coming to The Capitol' on their website all year and even the promised food market hasn't even materialised.

I did email the owners a few months ago and they haven't bothered to reply.

A big wrecking ball springs to mind as a solution.

Simon_SW17

PostSun Oct 15, 2023 10:00 am

CardiffRocks

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 10:17 am

Might sound a bit controversial, but given the glut of empty units that end of town, what about knocking it/part of it down and turning it into a public/green space? Can be used for street food style events/bands still, but on a more ad-hog basis. This sounds like it may be the fate of the Debenhams plot. Could complement the canal and create some much needed space in what is a dense area of the city. I remember how popular the temporary park where Admiral was. If the car park was still needed, then it could go underground with a park above like they do on the continent.

Bishop84

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 8:21 pm

CardiffRocks wrote:Might sound a bit controversial, but given the glut of empty units that end of town, what about knocking it/part of it down and turning it into a public/green space? Can be used for street food style events/bands still, but on a more ad-hog basis. This sounds like it may be the fate of the Debenhams plot. Could complement the canal and create some much needed space in what is a dense area of the city. I remember how popular the temporary park where Admiral was. If the car park was still needed, then it could go underground with a park above like they do on the continent.

I think that is similar to one of the options Landsec have mooted about what they will do with the area of Saint David's that was previously occupied by Debenhams i.e. demolish it and make a new public square with performance/ pop-up food and retail with some smaller retail units.

Ash

PostSat Oct 28, 2023 6:33 pm

CardiffRocks wrote:Might sound a bit controversial, but given the glut of empty units that end of town, what about knocking it/part of it down and turning it into a public/green space? Can be used for street food style events/bands still, but on a more ad-hog basis. This sounds like it may be the fate of the Debenhams plot. Could complement the canal and create some much needed space in what is a dense area of the city. I remember how popular the temporary park where Admiral was. If the car park was still needed, then it could go underground with a park above like they do on the continent.

There are a few options I think - all of which involve demolition!

The first is the one you suggest but it could also be used for HE purposes. All three of the city's universities are expanding and a Queen Street campus might appeal to one or more of them. A mixed use development might also work but Central Quay would probably need to go first to avoid over-supply of BTR appartments, office accomodation etc.

What clearly won't work is any attempt to revitalise the current centre. It's always been externally unattractive and has been declining for the best part of twenty years. Bring in the wrecking ball!

Simon_SW17

PostSat Oct 28, 2023 9:52 pm

Ash wrote:

There are a few options I think - all of which involve demolition!

The first is the one you suggest but it could also be used for HE purposes. All three of the city's universities are expanding and a Queen Street campus might appeal to one or more of them. A mixed use development might also work but Central Quay would probably need to go first to avoid over-supply of BTR appartments, office accomodation etc.

What clearly won't work is any attempt to revitalise the current centre. It's always been externally unattractive and has been declining for the best part of twenty years. Bring in the wrecking ball!

I completely agree about demolition. It's an awful building which hasn't aged well externally and any attempts to improve it would be putting lipstick on a pig (sorry pigs).

There's nothing that can be done internally without a massive investment, which looks like too much of a risk with little or no prospect of a return. The cinema is now dead space which can't be repurposed cheaply. There is a lot of retail space that's surplus to requirements in the city centre post the St.David's extension and online shopping, and trying to let the retail units here is pointless.

Something along the lines of the Queen's Arcade rethink seems appropriate here, mixed use and open space with a public thoroughfare from Queen St station. This should have always been in place from the offset to guarantee footfall.

It currently seems like a terrible waste of space though and looks terrible, the sooner the better for a redevelopment. Although as they're taking a new tenant (Black Sheep Coffee) I guess any plans will some way off yet.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum