It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

The Capitol

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

penarth bloke

Re: The Capitol

PostSat Oct 28, 2023 10:54 pm

I'm not convinced that Cardiff is big enough to sustain the current size of the city centre, maybe more residential would be a answer?

jones4891

PostSun Oct 29, 2023 11:34 am

I don't think the centre itself is too big (it's very compact in fact), but there is an oversupply of shopping space for the world of 2023. There need to be more reasons to come to the centre which don't require you to spend money. Sounds like the mooted redevelopment of Debenhams recognises this.
We'll have to wait and see whether places like the Canal Quarter become destinations in their own right (like a smaller version of Cheonggyecheon in Seoul https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheonggyecheon ) or whether it will only really be visited by nightlife punters (like Manchester's Canal Street).
As for the Capitol, the basement has hosted lots of pop-up arty events and cinema screenings, while the cinema has been turned into a thrift shop. With a bit of courage, it could be reinvented as an independent business incubator, but it would likely need a lot of grant support. Demolition and redevelopment is probably the best long term bet.

Amoore

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 8:58 am

I'm told there's some exciting news coming up for The Capitol very soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 10:08 am

Amoore wrote:I'm told there's some exciting news coming up for The Capitol very soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

Wrecking ball?
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum