It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:31 pm

Nato Summit

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

lucky

Re: Nato Summit

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 11:15 am

Yes, because watching a place become a militarised fortress and potential battle zone is so attractive to tourists.

It's already having a negative financial effect on other events in the town; at one this last weekend, I was told by organisers that some people from outlying areas had decided not to attend because so much of the parking in town was shut off already.

Linc

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 pm

It will be interesting to hear the views of those who 'support' the idea of this Summit being held here after the event!

For my part, I think it will do no good for Wales and a lot of harm. I am already aware of hospital appointments that have been cancelled/postponed because of this 'event'. Add to that the various disruptions to our lives and I believe everyone will hope it is never repeated here!
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you have only today

Linc

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Saw a report on this on TV this evening. One guy interviewed, when asked about the inconvenience it will cause to people said, "They can always take the day off!"

Where do they find these people!!?? :?:

Briz-Tim

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Bit of an ordeal getting home last night, took an extra 40 or so minutes on a journey that already takes an hour. Suppose I'm lucky in that I'm not one of the poor sods that has to put up with it all the way to September.

SirBlah

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 3:49 pm

I love the new banner though. Really brings out the best of this city.

Linc

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Talking to some shopkeepers opposite the Castle this morning. Apparently, when they initially constructed that 'barrier' in the middle of the road, they put all the bolts on the wrong side so that anyone could unscrew them and get through! they had to re-erect them correctly!

Also, several (if not all) said they were closing when the 'visitors' were in the Castle and boarding up their shop fronts to prevent damage which has been caused by 'demonstrators' on similar occasions!

Welcome to Fortress Cardiff! :roll:

redragon

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 pm

The retailers in that part of town don't hold back blaiming people for lack of business. High Street and any change to it and they say they would go bust.

Yes it looks a bit of a war zone and is a pain in the arse to get around but I'm not against it being held here...

lucky

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 am

Some of the arrangements are needlessly insensitive. For example, there's a concrete bunker effect been put in place opposite the municipal buildings where intercity buses depart and arrive - and the cordon has been arranged so that the bus shelter and seats are now inaccessible, which is a genuine hardship for older and disabled people waiting for their buses, as I witnessed yesterday. With a second's thought, that could have been worked round. There's also a rather silly "exclusion zone" around St David's Hotel from the water side consisting of yellow ropes and buoys which has been breached by an adventurous swan this morning.

Kyle

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 3:44 pm

It seems as if the natives of east St. Mellons are getting upset

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/nato-summit-2014-newport-isnt-7679344

penarth bloke

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am

Kyle wrote:It seems as if the natives of east St. Mellons are getting upset

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/nato-summit-2014-newport-isnt-7679344

Lazy journalism.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum