It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

Dumballs Road - The Embankment

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Dumballs Road - The Embankment

PostFri May 20, 2016 9:09 am

Kyle wrote:Well at least that's now two decent buildings down there. I think Lyndon's point about there possibly being other buildings in the future might be true. Look at how small the footprint is and how much land there is behind it, so maybe more offices further down Canal Parade, particularly seeing as the colour scheme does fit with the college. Rightacres built the college as well didn't they?

Virtually everything in that part of town has been Rightacres so far. I'm quite surprised (and impressed) that a medium-size local developer can juggle so many projects at the same time. The quality of their builds has improved a lot too. A lot of the early stuff like the British Gas building and 1, Fusion Point were very 'business park' and not really suited to the city centre.

Cen

PostFri May 20, 2016 10:31 am

Ash wrote:The quality of their builds has improved a lot too. A lot of the early stuff like the British Gas building and 1, Fusion Point were very 'business park' and not really suited to the city centre.

I think the style of British Gas, AA, Lloyds, etc. is just indicative of building style at the time. This style is everywhere around the UK. Admittedly it's not great architecture, but good UK architecture has been more or less limited to London for quite some time now. It's good to see it spreading to other important cities. Hopefully it takes some of London's disproportionate wealth with it!

In regard to One Canal Parade, I like it! It definitely complements Cardiff and Vale College. Maybe we'll see some coherence in design like at Capital Quarter, which has definitely raised No.1's appearance.

Philnpt

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 11:37 am

Looks like this one might be back on with Cardiff council joining forces with vastint.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... w-12222303

Magicman

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 pm

Good news on their website..

http://vastint.eu/uk/vastint-secures-ce ... diff-site/

Hope they turn this around quick!!

New convention centre location maybe as well??

Cen

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 am

A convention centre would be good here, and might be the only significant piece of land left in the centre that can house one now that Central Quay has been proposed. I hope the two schemes can blend well. It'll then feel like a true extension of the city centre south of the railway line, and finally bring a bit of life to the neglected riverfront!

RandomComment

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 pm

I have interpreted the "Leisure" aspect of the Central Quays development as perhaps aluding to the idea of the convention centre and arena. Otherwise I can't see how there really can be that much leisure at the site, and I can't see how they can get close to the 3,000,000 square feet development proposed.

RandomComment

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Magicman wrote:Good news on their website..

http://vastint.eu/uk/vastint-secures-ce ... diff-site/

Hope they turn this around quick!!

Not much on their website though is there?! As far as I can see they have no completed projects or even projects currently under construction.

I'm not holding my breath on this one, tbh. As with Bellerophon, it seems like a small company with mighty mighty ambitions. Will it really be able to deliver? Has it got the cash flow or financing to undertake these huge schemes?

More generally, I'm a bit concerned about big schemes being undertaken by small players in Cardiff. Can RightAcres really manage the rest of the Central Square scheme and the Central Quay scheme and whatever else they have planned on Canal Parade? I mean this is a company that until recently were building one (rather crappy) office development at a time.

Karl

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:58 pm

There were a few vague images of the plans for the Leeds brewery site on Skyscraper city a few weeks back. But I agree the website is incredible vague. Vastint appear to be more active in Europe and their UK arm has only been trading from 2010. The suggestion appears to be that they will work with the Council on producing a new masterplan for the area. I think on balance thats a good thing. The stuff Bellepheron have produced down the Bay is very mediocre.

One issue however is the proposed Rightacres tower. The DAS says that it has been designed specifically to fit in with the Bellerephon masterplan which is now defunct. I hope this will lead to a re-think. The design is quite poor in my view and I think the site is the wrong place to have a tower. I also think Rightacres may be in danger of overstretching themselves. Central Square is a project for a further 5 years and Central Quay is likely to be a project for the next 20.

Lyndon

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:08 pm

RandomComment wrote:Not much on their website though is there?! As far as I can see they have no completed projects or even projects currently under construction.

I'm not holding my breath on this one, tbh. As with Bellerophon, it seems like a small company with mighty mighty ambitions. Will it really be able to deliver? Has it got the cash flow or financing to undertake these huge schemes?

Vastint is the property arm of IKEA, so they definitely have the necessary muscle and cashflow.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum