It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 am

Dumballs Road - The Embankment

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Century Falcon

Dumballs Road - The Embankment

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Planning permission was granted on the 15th August for the hybrid application for the land to the west of Dumballs Road. They have up to five years to commence work, but I remember reading that Bellepheron were keen to start work as soon as possible.

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_107426

Hopefully yet more cranes for the central Cardiff skyline; especially as some of the building work in phase one is up to 20 storeys!

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: Dumballs Road - The Embankment

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Cheers Century Falcon! and that's good news! I was wondering when we'd hear something, it's going to completely change this very well located area, all systems go then, when will we see some action? :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

RandomComment

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Good news. I also doubt it will take 5 years for development to commence - unless Bellepheron's financing model isn't quite as secure as they make out (which is always a possibility). The market for homes itself is certainly coming back now, and that includes the market for apartments.

I also took a look at the decision (approval) notice. Some of the conditions seem inappropriately strict to me.
No retail/A3 unit may be able to serve hot food for consumption off the premises.
The only A3 uses permitted are restaraunts/cafe-bars.
So no takeaways nearby? No bakers offering hot products? No chance of a local pub/bar (although these seem incredibly rare in new developments anyway) except as part of a potential hotel use.

I agree with planning in principle - developments can impose really damaging negative externalities on neighbours if not regulated at all. But sometimes it goes too far. If such rules had been applied in the past, where would the culture of local pubs gone as the UK urbanised? Where would we get our Chinese and Indian takeaways and our Fish and Chips?

Kyle

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 pm

That is good news (other than those odd restrictions).

I wonder when they are looking to start and if they've concluded negotiations with all the existing tenants ?
I remember there were a few people holding out, probably for a better relocation deal.

There's nothing on the Bellerophon website yet other than the project page that's been there a while.

Anyway, there's the project page

http://www.bplltd.co.uk/project_details5.php

Kyle

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Some photos of what it may look like off that page

Simon_SW17

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Run down estate of the future?

Jonathan

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 pm

I remember this scheme being taller (i.e. as per Paul's photograph above).

Ash

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

RandomComment wrote:I also took a look at the decision (approval) notice. Some of the conditions seem inappropriately strict to me.
No retail/A3 unit may be able to serve hot food for consumption off the premises.
The only A3 uses permitted are restaraunts/cafe-bars.

I may be wrong but I think that's a pretty standard planning condition. It's there to make sure any planned takeaways have to make seperate planning applications to be judged on their merits. The condition doesn't apply to restaraunts/cafe-bars as they have to make applications under the licencing laws.

murfilicious

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Run down estate of the future?

It looks bloody awful!
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Briz-Tim

Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum