It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: General Developments

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 pm

RandomComment wrote:
Simon__200 wrote:Why build a hotel that's so budget that rooms cost ~£20 a night? You can pay £10 for a parking space in Cardiff, and that's just an 8ft by wide by 16ft piece of bare asphalt or concrete. You don't need to provide heating, plumbing, bedding, cleaning or any significant staffing whatsoever.

Because you wouldn't actually be able to get many parking spaces on this site. An individual parking space is quite small (although probably bigger than the average Easyhotel room!) but you need to be able to drive in to them - so you need 'roads'. And if you want to go multi-storey, you need ramps, which take up space. (even car lifts take up some space and certainly cost money).

Instead you can build on a pretty small site a mid-rise building that will give you 100+ hotel rooms. And rooms might start from £20 when demand is low. But you can guarantee they'll be a lot more than that when demand is high.

Nothing stopping that for parking but I think parking demand is more price-responsive. People are willing to park a bit away and walk. Maybe risk a parking fine. They're not willing to sleep out in the street.

Pwyll from Bala begs to differ

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... d-15004379

Regarding the hotel, the design is pretty repulsive. In my opinion anyway.

Amoore

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am

Simon__200 wrote:Why build a hotel that's so budget that rooms cost ~£20 a night?

That's not how it works. It uses yield pricing so the first room available on a particular night will cost £20 (ie if you book months in advance) and then the more bookings, the higher the price. Rooms at the Manchester easyHotel can cost anything up to £200 depending on demand.

Ash

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Splice has opened its Cardiff-based post-production facility (pictured above), which was originally revealed in Broadcast in June.

The all-Avid office, on St Mary Street in Cardiff city centre, has been extensively refurbished and all suites have been kitted out with custom-built sit-stand desks. Splice’s facilities director Kate Higham told Broadcast Splice Cardiff is currently home to “substantial, multi-episode projects.”

The facility is linked to Splice’s Shoreditch HQ with a direct fibre connection to enable collaborative working across the different offices.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/splice-opens-large-scale-post-house-in-cardiff/5131787.article

Cardiff

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 pm

They have started applying the external cladding on the Premier Inn in the bay

LocalResident

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 am

Celtic Manor apparently considering the old post office for its new 5 star hotel location in Cardiff -https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/five-star-hotel-plans-centre-15083348

daearegwr

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:44 am

LocalResident wrote:Celtic Manor apparently considering the old post office for its new 5 star hotel location in Cardiff -https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/five-star-hotel-plans-centre-15083348

With the Celtic Manor behind it I'm hoping this might actually happen. Interesting to see in the article that the existing hotel operates above 90% capacity during the week and is full at weekends and that's before the ICC is built

HalRobsonKanu

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am

It would certainly great to see these lovely buildings getting a comprehensive refurbishment and being brought back to life. It will also add much needed additional hotel capacity.

It will be very interesting to see whether the interest in opening a new hotel from Abu Dhabi will be sustained, if this goes ahead. If there’s a direct choice I’d certainly rather investment from Terry Matthews to investment from a dodgy Emirati regime.

If the scheme does go ahead, I hope that the buildings are redeveloped respectfully. This could be something really special and I just pray that Matthews does not try to bring the bland American resort feel of Celtic Manor to the city centre.

HalRobsonKanu

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 am

Reading about this year’s shortlist for the carbuncle cup – the annual award for the UK’s ugliest new building – there were a couple of things that caught my eye.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... w-building

The first was the striking similarity between the Plymouth student accommodation (Beckley Point 2) and the scheme that is proposed for the site of Hallinan’s House in Cardiff. I have always had my doubts about this scheme and worry that it has the potential to look quite tacky. The comparison with "New York New York" in Las Vegas seems very apt, although I’m sure some of us would view that as compliment rather than a criticism!

The one positive factor in favour of the Hallinans House scheme over Beckley Point is that it is in the middle of a very built up area and is immediately next to another quite tall building, so even if it is as bad as I fear it could be, it will not have the same negative impact upon the city’s skyline. The long shot of the building, taken from a terraced street, really showcases just how grim Beckley House is.

https://www.bdonline.co.uk/carbuncle-cu ... 80.article

With reference to previous discussions on tall buildings, the fact that a city like Plymouth is developing buildings like this really does give the lie to the idea that developers investing in tall buildings of this sort in Cardiff is some sign of the city having “made it”. With all due respect to Plymouth, Cardiff really should be aiming so much higher than this - metaphorically, not literally.

Another shortlisted development was the rooftop extension of the Shankly Hotel in Liverpool, which is owned by none other than Signature Living, who own the Coal Exchange. Whilst I will always be grateful to Signature Living for saving the structural integrity of the Coal Exchange I have never fully trusted them as custodians of the building. The tacky fresco on the ceiling of the main trading hall tells you all that you need to know about their aesthetic sensibilities! We also know that Signature have already looked at a rooftop extension at the Coal Exchange. We need to watch them like hawks to make sure that nothing like this monstrosity happens to one of our most important historic buildings.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... y-13392359

Kyle

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am

HalRobsonKanu wrote:It would certainly great to see these lovely buildings getting a comprehensive refurbishment and being brought back to life. It will also add much needed additional hotel capacity.

It will be very interesting to see whether the interest in opening a new hotel from Abu Dhabi will be sustained, if this goes ahead. If there’s a direct choice I’d certainly rather investment from Terry Matthews to investment from a dodgy Emirati regime.

If the scheme does go ahead, I hope that the buildings are redeveloped respectfully. This could be something really special and I just pray that Matthews does not try to bring the bland American resort feel of Celtic Manor to the city centre.

It's Qatar not any of the UAE Emirates such as Abu Dhabi.

If it's one over the other then I know which one I'd pick! Besides, it's always good if something is locally owned and run, and in this case it sounds like Rightacres and the WRU might gain as owners by renting it out to the Celtic Manor, who would also be earning money from it.

It's what Wales lacks - enough successful businesses that are headquartered in Wales. Hopefully Celtic Manor will keep on expanding it's hotel portfolio outside of the area as well.

HalRobsonKanu

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks Kyle. Not sure where I got the idea that the investment was from Abu Dhabi from! Definitely agree that it's always welcome to see Welsh success stories. If there's choice, a home grown investor, who will hopefully keep (and reinvest) the profits in Wales is strongly preferable to the (at best) morally dubious Qatari money.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum