It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: General Developments

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Amoore wrote:And what's the alternative? 150 parking spaces and more gridlock conditions on the limited road infrastructure Cardiff has?

That's the dilema isn't it, provide adequate parking for people and busier roads or only end up with a bunch of residents that have no need to drive anywhere, which isn't a bad thing environment wise but potential buyers will be limited.

I do wonder about the long term viability of high rise living in the city if the road problems continue to be ignored and the only parking provided is for a third of residents. My only experience of tower living is abroad where everyone had a parking space but the roads around the towers were adequate enough, most of the time at least.

Anyway, it's been approved this afternoon.

RandomComment

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Kyle wrote:Anyway, it's been approved this afternoon.

Yeah its been approved with an S106 contribution of £100,000 or less than £1,000 per apartment.

Yet again, a viability statement has been prepared that finds that the scheme would be unviable if the full contribution such a scheme would attract under standard rules (£1.9 million) were applied.

This is becoming a joke. Developers know they can negotiate our of S106 obligations on the basis of "viability" so they bid up what they are willing to pay for the land. The high costs of the land then make the scheme "unviable".

We need to fix the S106 contributions. Development will still happen. Land prices will just be lower.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm

and the weekly 400+ student accommodation proposed is...

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_120317

wow! I wonder how many of these proposals will actually get built? personally I'd be happy with the customhouse tower and those 4 co-joined 'mini manhattan' towers in fitzalan place!! :geek: Having said that if all of the proposals come to fruition then surely this will mean cathays and roath are going to be pretty much re-invented over the next decade - that's gotta be a good thing.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Peiriannydd

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 10:12 pm

I think this is starting to take the piss!

moyceyyy

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 3:55 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:and the weekly 400+ student accommodation proposed is...

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_120317

wow! I wonder how many of these proposals will actually get built? personally I'd be happy with the customhouse tower and those 4 co-joined 'mini manhattan' towers in fitzalan place!! :geek: Having said that if all of the proposals come to fruition then surely this will mean cathays and roath are going to be pretty much re-invented over the next decade - that's gotta be a good thing.

Again, part of a wider scheme to de-studenfity the Cathays area so people can move into affordable housing - especially in a time of such housing shortage in Cardiff.

However I'd be careful if I was the council. Forcing all the students into towers and blocks may make the city less attractive to students. Part of the student life and culture is renting a house.

murfilicious

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 am

I like the use of the area underneath the flyover... So that'll probably never happen!
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Rhodri

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 am

That actually looks OK and adds to the urban stretch of city centre. Even with the ongoing Tyndall St developments this stretch is far from a sprawl.

Jantra

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 am

JEDS Investments

another 'high end' student developer.

I don't mind all of these student developments, and if they do come off then they add to the fabric of city. Uni numbers do appear to be growing, and it would help push Cathays and its environs back towards your usual family oriented districts...

students also bring life to an area, and god knows this area needs it

Karl

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 11:22 am

Seems sensible to me. It's unlike that area will be attractive to offices. The garage has been empty since 2009 apparently. It spreads the city centre a bit further outwards and it may be a catalyst for further development. Not sure I would want to live next to the elevated road and electricity sub station mind, but my student days are long gone so I don't need to worry my pretty little head about that.

I wonder how long those 1930's semi's on Tyndall St will remain in situ? Relatives of mine used to live in two of the houses and although obviously built a long time after the original development thet were classd as part of Newtown. They now seem very anachronistic given the development all around. There is also a lot of potential development land behind them.

Jantra

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am

you are right Karl, who would want to live next to an elevated road

:twisted:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum