It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: General Developments

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 pm

dave wrote:This new investment announced by Goodway is just Monzo I assume, no one new else isnt it

It's isn't "just" Monzo though, that's potentially 500 or so jobs.

Kyle

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
dave wrote:This new investment announced by Goodway is just Monzo I assume, no one new else isnt it

It's isn't "just" Monzo though, that's potentially 500 or so jobs.

Exactly. 500 jobs of any sort is good news.

It would be good for the economy if they were higher salary IT jobs, maybe analysis, architecture or development related, but if they are customer service jobs only then it's still something to be very pleased about.

jonbvn

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 am

Kyle wrote:
It would be good for the economy if they were higher salary IT jobs, maybe analysis, architecture or development related, but if they are customer service jobs only then it's still something to be very pleased about.

What is the availability of such skills in the S. Wales area? Would it require people to be drafted in, who normally work in London/M4 Corridor?

Kyle

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am

jonbvn wrote:
Kyle wrote:

What is the availability of such skills in the S. Wales area? Would it require people to be drafted in, who normally work in London/M4 Corridor?

Vague answer sorry, it depends on the specific roles they are recruiting and the technology they use to develop their applications. I've been out of the country for almost a year now so I'm not aware of how healthy the job market is, but before I left home to come back to Dubai last December I was working at a software house in Cardiff city centre that's growing loads and we struggled to find the right resources. The result was the salaries we offered were pretty decent for the more complicated roles and we had some fairly inexperienced developers on really good salaries. I'm not sure how healthy the market is right now but there's certainly been an improvement in the number of technology based organisations based in the area over the last few years, which is a great thing for those of us working in the sector.

It's part of the reason a couple of universities are improving their courses, because of the lack of resources in the area. Cardiff Met, for example, are creating a whole new campus in the city centre (at Central Quay) and Cardiff Uni have a National Software Academy based in Newport in partnership with the Welsh Government.

daearegwr

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am

Bishop84 wrote:
Philnpt wrote:I’ve just stumbled across this development for Newport road, looks like it’s on the corner of Newport road and east grove, roughly the same height of the planned hallinans house tower
http://www.baseassociates.co.uk/projects/cardiff-tower/

Looks like it encroaches into the Tredegarville Conservation Area so they may have a hard time at planning.

I believe the tenant there (government agency) have just signed a new 10 year lease on the building so not sure how developed this plan really is.

Amoore

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Cardiff to get first "Zip by Premier Inn".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-459 ... 1uL3SKPYR8

Essentially a budget chain where the rooms are smaller 'pods'.

Conroy

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 pm

What more do you know about this announcement, or where can I find out more? Google isn't bringing anything up but I've been eyeing monzo for some time... Would actually be a great win for Cardiffs profile in the tech world

Karl

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:21 pm

There is an application to demolish the 1960's extension to the Angel Hotel (facing Westgate Street) and replace it with a block that will substantially increase rooms available.

This is welcome as that extension is wholly without merit and it blights that part of Westgate Street. I'm not sure about the design of the proposed replacement though. It's on the Council planning portal for w/c 22nd October for those who want to see for themselves.

jones4891

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Cardiff misses out on C4 creative hub

Channel 4 chooses Leeds as new national headquarters

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... _clipboard

RandomComment

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 10:33 pm

jones4891 wrote:Cardiff misses out on C4 creative hub

Channel 4 chooses Leeds as new national headquarters

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... _clipboard

I'm not surprised by this. They had to have a hub in Scotland. Politically, it was impossible not to. It would then look a bit imbalanced if England only got the HQ and not a hub, given its 84% of the UK population. Bristol can serve a wider area than Cardiff - there would be a tendency for a hub in Cardiff to be seen as "Wales" in the way a hub in Bristol wouldn't necessarily be seen to exclude Wales. We also can't ignore the effect of having S4C in Wales already.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum