It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: General Developments

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 4:51 pm

A building in St Mary St (between the Bunkhouse and the Wok to Go outlet) is currently scaffolded and covered in tarpaulin and there appears to be a significant amount of workmen working on the exterior and interior.

The building itself (it used to be a short lived bargain booze type operation and before that a restaurant called, I think, Hullaballoo's) is attractive and with a paint job and a refurb would lift that part of St Mary Street considerably. I can't recall any applications for the building other than some sort of fried chicken place many moons ago. It may be the case that the owner is trying to make it more attractive for potential tenants but usually this means doing the bare minimum to stop it from falling down. This work seems (to my untrained eye) to be more substantial.

Anyone know what's happening?

In other news Trailfinders have moved into their new unit at the castle end of Queen Street. They've done a decent job on the refurb of the building which is effectively a three storey box which looks like it's built from Portland stone with some nice art deco touches. This leaves their St Mary Street outlet (which has recently received a very nice exterior refurb) empty. I hope that the Council have thrown in the towel with the saturation policy and look to encourage quality A3 into the area as I think it will be some time before a retail operator takes the plunge in that location.

wizard

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Didn't someone mention a couple of months ago that another 'Wok type' outlet was opening up there (even though it is very near to Wok to Walk) - or am I making it up?

Karl

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 am

wizard wrote:Didn't someone mention a couple of months ago that another 'Wok type' outlet was opening up there (even though it is very near to Wok to Walk) - or am I making it up?

You may be right. Thinking about it the chicken place was supposed to be the other end of St Mary Street near Greggs. Also what happened to Turtle Bay which was supposed to open in Hodge House?

Karl

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Two interesting ones -

Outline planning application for 630 houses to the north and south of Llantrisant Road. Expect the shit to hit the fan on that one shortly. I know it's only indicative at this stage but the masterplan looks like a typical Wimpey Barratt Redrow mash-up, a very uninspiring maze of cul de sacs and windy roads...

Also an application to 'screen opinion' - whatever that means - for 250 homes on the BBC Llandaff site. This will involve demolition of all buildings and the application is from George Wimpey. No mention of the supermarket that was mooted for at least part of that site....

Kyle

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Karl wrote:Two interesting ones -

Outline planning application for 630 houses to the north and south of Llantrisant Road. Expect the shit to hit the fan on that one shortly. I know it's only indicative at this stage but the masterplan looks like a typical Wimpey Barratt Redrow mash-up, a very uninspiring maze of cul de sacs and windy roads...

Also an application to 'screen opinion' - whatever that means - for 250 homes on the BBC Llandaff site. This will involve demolition of all buildings and the application is from George Wimpey. No mention of the supermarket that was mooted for at least part of that site....

That's not the same one as the one just off J33 is it ? That was more homes and a different developer.

Wherabouts on Llantrisant Road is this ?

And yes, the NIMBY shit will be in the Echo any day now.

Jantra

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I wonder what odds bet fair will give on rare fauna and fungus being found along Llantrisant road

RandomComment

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

It gets found so frequently, perhaps we shouldn't be worried about it being endangered after all!

RandomComment

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 6:32 pm

The "Llantrisant Road" proposals are for an area that is currently outside of the proposed "Waterhall" development. The northern part is the land between Clos Parc Radyr and Heol Isaf (the main road through Radyr). The land to the south is land to the south of the "Radyr roundabout" on Llantrisant Road.

Expect this will get a huge amount of objections:
- from the people in clos parc radyr estate (quite fancy modern detached homes)
- from the people on Heol Isaf (fancy Victorian/Edwardian homes I think)
- from people at the northern end of Fairwater
- from people worried about traffic
- and from people in Radyr more generally worried about their village being 'swallowed up'.

The northern part is reasonably close to Radyr railway line - between a 5 and 10 minute walk, I'd say.
The sourthern part is further away at the moment, but could be relatively close (3 - 8 minutes) from the proposed new rail line.

Housing style is bland - seems to be a mix of modernish brick-built, and others with stone effect to perhaps fit in with older houses nearby.

Don't think the layout is too bad - its not really cul-de-sacs. Its a bit like the Radyr sidings development - roads which all connect to each other but in a rather higgledy-piggledy way, and with lots of use of shared raised surfaces. Designed to make walking easier (than cul-de-sacs) but slow cars down. Still not as 'convenient' as traditional block-style road layouts.

Oh and here:
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_109712

Barden

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 6:42 am

Karl wrote:

A screening opinion is a formal request from an applicant to the Council to see whether or not an Environmental Impact Assessment will be required with a planning application.

Karl

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum