It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: General Developments

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Well done Lyndon. Hopefully your initiative will pay off. I see today that a certain fat-faced bullying AM has tweeted a video of himself on Guildford Crescent. Unsurprisingly he failed to mention your petition. What a petty, narcissistic thug that man is. If there were prizes for bullshitting and bandwagon-jumping that creep would win a platinum star.

daearegwr

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 am

I've signed the petition but other than the developers seeing the strength of feeling and withdrawing their application what can the Council do on this matter? They don't need planning permission to demolish the buildings and I assume any conservation area won't be designated within the timescales of this demolition application.

redragon

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 am

Hopefully it can be rejected...

The problem is I imagine the only way that planning can get involved quickly would be to spot list it but it just doesn’t have the intact historic value - look st the windows etc. Unless there’s some other reason

Ash

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Green City Events are to develop a "creative community hub and green space for the people of Adamsdown and Splott" at the Carillion compound on Railway Street.

http://www.greencityevents.co.uk/very-exciting-news/

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 1:40 pm

It seems the student accommodation at Howard Gardens is underway - that's another 391 beds! I know the site has been cleared but not much else happening at the moment (as of yesterday)

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wales/work-underway-at-391-bed-student-development
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

LocalLurker

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 am

redragon wrote:Hopefully it can be rejected...

The problem is I imagine the only way that planning can get involved quickly would be to spot list it but it just doesn’t have the intact historic value - look st the windows etc. Unless there’s some other reason

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-15584809

Interesting article on the Rapport family who own the site

Karl

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 am

Two new applications for the Bay. First is infill apartments next to Aberdare House in Mount Stuart Square with commercial on ground floor. The site is currently a surface car park so literally anything would be an improvement. The plannin app is under week commencing 17th December. Difficult to see what it it looks like from the drawing but hopefully it will involve a lot of stone rather than render.

The second is a 9 storey block on the corner of Clarence Rd and Dumballs rd from Cadwyn HA. It will involve the demolition of a two storey red brick building which is reasonably attractive but not a substantial loss. The proposed block looks interesting.....

RandomComment

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Karl wrote:Two new applications for the Bay. First is infill apartments next to Aberdare House in Mount Stuart Square with commercial on ground floor. The site is currently a surface car park so literally anything would be an improvement. The plannin app is under week commencing 17th December. Difficult to see what it it looks like from the drawing but hopefully it will involve a lot of stone rather than render.

The second is a 9 storey block on the corner of Clarence Rd and Dumballs rd from Cadwyn HA. It will involve the demolition of a two storey red brick building which is reasonably attractive but not a substantial loss. The proposed block looks interesting.....

It's hard to tell with the first one but it says it will be reconstituted stone and facing brick, with dark grey metal cladding in places. So maybe something like the existing residential developments on that side of Mount Stuart Square but with some ground floor units?

The second proposal.. YUCK! I hate those cheap cladding panels. You get those on the blocks they are putting up in the less salubrious parts of London. I think its because they look interesting in brochures and you don't realise how cheap and nasty they are til you see the ugly jigsaw patterns in reality. The worst I've seen is actually from Canary Wharf though (not prime but not exactly a dump either):

I'd much rather something brick here. It would go way better with the surroundings (e.g. Century Wharf, the police station across the way, the flats the other side of the road).

Ash

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

More than 300 jobs are to be created by a mobile-only banking company.

London-based Monzo has announced it will open a new customer operations centre in Cardiff.

The expansion, part-funded by a Welsh Government grant of almost £1m, will create 312 jobs over the next four years and the firm said it had already begun recruiting staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46802786

The press release doesn't say where exactly the centre will be located only that it's "overlooking the castle". I guess that means either Capital Tower or One, Kingsway.

Karl

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am

Heres some more info -

Mobile-only bank Monzo is to open a new customer operations centre in Cardiff in a move that will create more than 300 jobs.

The bank currently has about 1.3 million customers, with more than 100,000 new users signing up each month.

After receiving £950,000 of Welsh Government support, the bank will be opening a new customer operations centre in Cardiff that will create 312 new jobs over the next four years.

This is in addition to the Monzo’s existing headquarters in London that employs more than 500 people.

Economy minister Ken Skates said: "Our Economic Action Plan is clear on our commitment to supercharging the industries of the future and supporting businesses to innovate and compete in a rapidly evolving market place.

"Monzo’s innovative business model, its ground breaking functionality and rapid growth has seen it quickly evolve into one of the world’s leading digital banks and as a Welsh Government we are proud to have supported its expansion into Wales.

"I look forward to Monzo joining our thriving financial and professional services sector here in Cardiff and in doing so creating 312 high quality customer service jobs right in the heart of our capital."

Tom Blomfield, Monzo chief executive, added: "I’m very excited for us to be expanding our presence in Cardiff and continuing to provide amazing customer support for our 1.3 million customers. Over the next few years, we’ll be hiring hundreds of people into our Cardiff office as we grow our customer base by millions more people."

Walesonline reporting that they are going in the second floor of One Kingsway
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum