It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: General Developments

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 pm

There's meant to be a new 6 floor 30,000sq ft office going up on Curran Road next to the Lloyds building and behind the Arriva Trains Wales building. Paul has it marked as under construction on the map on the main site but there's been little mentioned of it at all on here. I don't think it's that remarkable but just curious if anyone knows how it's doing.

Being behind the Lloyds Bank and Arriva Trains Wales building it's a little hidden.

Here's some links if anyone's forgotten about it :

http://www.inspiredesign.co.uk/Curran%20Rd,%20Cardiff2.html

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_108181

RandomComment

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Interesting - never knew this was happening. Wonder if they have a tenant lined up?

Its not really that exciting, but its a decent design for whats a rather tucked out the way site (at the moment at least). Less offensive than the two buildings in front of it for sure. And be good to see some smaller schemes alongside the bigger schemes like Callaghan, Capital and Central.

Lyndon

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 2:41 pm

There's an application for a premises license by Indigo Hotels stuck up on Dominions House, so it looks like this might be finally going ahead.

Amoore

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 6:48 pm

They're apparently trying to get a licence for the hotel bar, and want an external entrance to the bar so that the general public can use it as well as guests... that's not going to happen on Queen Street!

Ash

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 am

Amoore wrote:They're apparently trying to get a licence for the hotel bar, and want an external entrance to the bar so that the general public can use it as well as guests... that's not going to happen on Queen Street!

I wish it would. These saturation zones are ridiculously blunt tools. There's no reason at all why there shouldn't be an upmarket bar aimed at an older demo on Queen Street. It's ridiculous that one of the main streets in the city doesn't have a single bar or pub along its entire length.

Kyle

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 am

RandomComment wrote:Interesting - never knew this was happening. Wonder if they have a tenant lined up?

Its not really that exciting, but its a decent design for whats a rather tucked out the way site (at the moment at least). Less offensive than the two buildings in front of it for sure. And be good to see some smaller schemes alongside the bigger schemes like Callaghan, Capital and Central.

I knew it was happening and forgot about it until I saw the link on the front page of Paul's map. I went and had a look over the weekend as I was nearby and nothing at all is happening there as yet. I do wonder whether this will go the same way as the Custom House refurb which is also meant to be providing offices but nothing seems to have happened there. I do hope both go ahead though.

Amoore

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Ash wrote:
Amoore wrote:They're apparently trying to get a licence for the hotel bar, and want an external entrance to the bar so that the general public can use it as well as guests... that's not going to happen on Queen Street!

I wish it would. These saturation zones are ridiculously blunt tools. There's no reason at all why there shouldn't be an upmarket bar aimed at an older demo on Queen Street. It's ridiculous that one of the main streets in the city doesn't have a single bar or pub along its entire length.

The problem is, these places tend not to be aimed at an older demo. They want to attract the younger people that make up the bulk of the city's nightlife, and in order to do that open as late as possible.

The new fish & chip restaurant which is opening this week does have an alcohol licence, so it's not out of the question for one to be granted. It just needs to provide an alternative to the likes of the venues on Greyfriars Road.

Karl

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 am

There is an application for the demolition of the University buildings in Splott to be redeveloped into 32 flats.

A bit gutted by this. The main building is one of the nicest in that area. In fact that part of Splott - don't snigger - stands comparison with Penylan or the better parts of Canton. Lovely double Bay fronted Edwardian terraces, tree lined streets, and some very nice period buildings in the University Buildings, the Grosvenor pub and St Saviours Vicarage. Once upon a time the nearby Splott Park, with it's bowling greens, bandstand, rose garden and playground with it's own steam engine was also the equal of more celebrated parks.

The proposals are gut wrenchingly anodyne as well. I'm all for development in Splott/Adamsdown but not at the expense of the few decent buildings that are left.

Karl

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 am

JR Smart have put in an application for 180 apartments in three blocks (the tallest at 22 stories) for the parcel of land to the west of Capital Quarter. It's the bit that is south of the railway land and is divided from Capital Quarter by the dock feeder. There is also a small element of A2/A3 for the Herbert Street frontage.

Part of the application states that the dock feeder will be tidied up and made a feature with a new pedestrian bridge over it. The application also states that the MSCP and student accommodation in Capital Quarter will commence construction in 2015.

As for the design - have a look at the DAS on the Council planning portal. At the moment I can't make up my mind - the smaller blocks I think work better than the tower. The scheme is designed to compliment the designs for Capital Quarter presumably to keep the Herbert/Tyndall Street frontage similar but I'm not sure that's altogether a good thing.

In any event it would appear that 2015 could be a busy year for construction...

LocalLurker

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 12:41 pm

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_110672

Looks OK, nothing special but seems to add some height and much needed bulk to the skyline. Will be interesting to see what is planned on Bute Street, opposite Eversheds to provide a link between the Capital Quarter and Callaghan Square developments.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum