It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: General Developments

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm

I like the fact that an office that end of town is getting the jobs, it helps keeps that end of town busy. I'm all for the new offices we are getting in the south of the city of course, but it's promising to see the offices in the Kingsway are doing well.

Good news all round.

Ash

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Mermaid Quay are planning to double the height and capacity of the current two-deck car park.

Pre planning consultation here.

https://sites.savills.com/mqcp/cy

LocalLurker

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 2:04 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... n-15738028

WalesOnline have an interesting article (yes, even a broken clock is right twice a day) on plans to develop Cardiff drawn up in the 60's, which thankfully weren't implemented
Last edited by LocalLurker on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 2:23 pm

I haven't looked at the article yet but presumably they're on about the Buchanan Plan and CentrePlan70. It was a horrid scheme and the public consulation was limited to a vote on whether the street names should be in Welsh or English!

The model was pretty cool though, I wonder if it still exists somewhere.

Karl

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm

The wraps are starting to come off the redevelopment in Church Street. From what I've seen so far it looks pretty good quality - a sandstone coloured stone-effect cladding and dark grey windows.

It's quite straight forward and there are no bells and whistles but I think this will work in this area. It's an appropriate scale for the surrounding buildings as well. I think it's already fully let with Mowglis, a Vietnemese chain, a burger joint and the Botanist? cocktail bar?

Looks like Church Street could have a similar vibe as Mill Lane (although more food led). Truffles is beong replaced with a tapas bar as well which will add to that offering.

Kyle

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 am

Amoore

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Ash wrote:I haven't looked at the article yet but presumably they're on about the Buchanan Plan and CentrePlan70. It was a horrid scheme and the public consulation was limited to a vote on whether the street names should be in Welsh or English!

The model was pretty cool though, I wonder if it still exists somewhere.

Some of the designs look eerily like someone dumped Cwmbran Shopping Centre on top of Cardiff.

LocalLurker

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:44 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... f-15748832

Tramshed developers plans for Cardiff Bay train station

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 pm

Interesting. Another mention of the new arena in that article, we should be expecting some planning submission and flashy CGIs on that project shortly.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 am

Great news that something is finally being done here and even better news that it sounds like a project of genuine quality that will secure the grade two listed building and begin add some much needed life to Lloyd George Avenue.

With so many schemes having been proposed and then forgotten again, I was seriously worried that the station building was going to be allowed to decay until it was beyond saving.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum