It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: General Developments

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:30 pm

If you have multiple children and grandchildren scattered across the city and you play a role in their lives then having a car is a big help. I never ever drive in Cardiff other than to facilitate childcare but I wouldn't be able to play the roles that I do in family life if I didn't have access to a car. It just isn't practical to take small children around Cardiff on public transport when it is cold and wet and the fragmented nature of many families in our society means that cars are needed, logistically speaking.

elgdav

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 am

Insurance and tax is about £1000 a year for a decent car that's the same as 200 short taxi rdes

Cen

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 am

£1000 a year? If you're 19 years old maybe. And there's 365 days in a year, not 200. Two or three taxi journeys a day and you're pushing 700 taxi rides a year. It's just not practical or financially sensible at all. Driving cars is still, for a lot of people, the easiest and best way for them to get around South Wales. There's also the fact that owning a nice car is aspirational to a lot of people - like a trophy. And can you blame them? People want a little bit of enjoyment in their lives.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

elgdav wrote:Insurance and tax is about £1000 a year for a decent car that's the same as 200 short taxi rdes

I bought my car, new, for £8000 in 2008. I travel 5000 miles a year - mostly long distance, as I have to travel to northern England once a month. I make 2 or 3 return childcare journeys each week in Cardiff. After 10 years the car will have cost me £20000;for initial purchase, fuel, MOT, service, insurance, repairs (only £90 so far), tyres and tax (£30 a year). So that's £40 a week. Six 4 mile taxi journeys in Cardiff would cost around £60 a week.

I've got a wedding to go to in Ely today followed by a reception in Fairwater. I'm debating whether to drive or get the train/bus from Penarth. I will probably drive - and break my rule - as it would be ridiculously expensive and/or time-consuming to use public transport for the multiple journeys I will make. Yes, I could get a day-to-go ticket on the bus but that will mean that I spend a lot of time travelling.

I agree that if you buy an expensive car then the sums don't add up but I'm proud to be the owner of a "city car". It has been very useful. And I've only owned a car for half my adult life - I spent 15 years moving kids around by foot, bike and public transport and believe me it is impractical, slow and, in the UK, expensive.

elgdav

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 11:34 am

Yes a car certainly seems the right choice for you. Everyone's circumstances are different of course. Just out of completeness my situation is I live in Atlantic Wharf, work in the bay and spend most of the weekend in town, all walkable. I walk to leckwith once a week. Get a return train to Llandaff once a week £4. I spend around 6 weeks a year out of the country where a car would be unused. On the odd occasion I take a taxi it is expensive such as home from a wedding in Bridgend but even if I had a car I still have done that to be able to drink. No kids so that's easier.

I would guess the prospective occupiers of these flats would be closer to my lifestyle than yours given it's location.

solaris

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 1:41 pm

elgdav wrote:Yes a car certainly seems the right choice for you. Everyone's circumstances are different of course. Just out of completeness my situation is I live in Atlantic Wharf, work in the bay and spend most of the weekend in town, all walkable. I walk to leckwith once a week. Get a return train to Llandaff once a week £4. I spend around 6 weeks a year out of the country where a car would be unused. On the odd occasion I take a taxi it is expensive such as home from a wedding in Bridgend but even if I had a car I still have done that to be able to drink. No kids so that's easier.

I would guess the prospective occupiers of these flats would be closer to my lifestyle than yours given it's location.

Hopefully as public transport improves in Cardiff more people will adopt your lifestyle and abandon their cars

Victor Clam

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm

I'd love to abandon my car, but it's not practical. I live in Rumney, childminder is in Llanedeyrn, work just outside town. I'd have to leave my house before 7am if I wanted to use public transport.

lucky

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm a non-car-owner myself but I observe the fights that go on even in my block of flats (where most flats have one car parking space, which is a lot more than newer developments) with people pinching each other's spaces for a second car. And without a car, I find I have to plan quite carefully and allocate a fair bit of time if I want to visit most other places in Wales for work or pleasure.

Baysailor

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 am

Here you go, Cardiff Council is conducting a survey on how people commute around the city.
https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=149942818413
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum