It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 pm

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lyndon

Re: General Developments

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

They've been at that for months now. I presume there are "Grenfell Tower" type issues. Understandably, they haven't said much about it.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 1:29 pm

I posted about the Radisson a while back. My friend is the contractor and he hasn't been able to hire people brave enough to undertake the work, hence the delay.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:43 am

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

High rise Cardiff hotel fails cladding fire safety test - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-43059208

Well I think this is pretty obvious!

Cardiff

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Schooner way nearing completion

Image20180217_114714 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Simon__200

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

High rise Cardiff hotel fails cladding fire safety test - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-43059208

Well it *is* pretty obvious I suppose, but why can't the article name and shame? It's kind of ridiculous. Imagine, heaven forbid, that there was an incident and it turned out that news organisations had pointlessly, unilaterally decided to censor this information for some inexplicable reason.

Simon__200

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 am

Oh sorry. Should say that I'm assuming that the finger is pointing at Radisson Blue here, right?

murfilicious

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am

Simon__200 wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Well it *is* pretty obvious I suppose, but why can't the article name and shame? It's kind of ridiculous. Imagine, heaven forbid, that there was an incident and it turned out that news organisations had pointlessly, unilaterally decided to censor this information for some inexplicable reason.

I suppose it would be in the Hotel's interests (particularly around the 6 Nations) to prevent that information being in the public domain due to potential loss of earnings? Is it therefore possible that they have obtained some sort of court order preventing it being publicised?
Or perhaps the police don't legally need to name them because they're not a residential block of flats or apartments?

Not sure, clutching at straws here...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

jonbvn

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

murfilicious wrote:
Simon__200 wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:I suppose it would be in the Hotel's interests (particularly around the 6 Nations) to prevent that information being in the public domain due to potential loss of earnings? Is it therefore possible that they have obtained some sort of court order preventing it being publicised?
Or perhaps the police don't legally need to name them because they're not a residential block of flats or apartments?

Not sure, clutching at straws here...

Regardless of the commercial implications, there is clearly a serious moral issue here. To me it seems unconscionable that the public would not be made aware of a safety problem with a hotel where they may decide to stay. Have we really come to the point as a society where the potential lost earnings outweigh the potential hazard to paying guests?

elgdav

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 pm

The added risk to any single short term occupant is probably less significant than earthquake threat ;). If you lived there long term granted it would be a bigger concern.

Frank

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 pm

I have to agree that a court order would seem bizarre. I can't imagine a restaurant that had a food poisoning scandal would be able to hush it up? Or maybe I'm just naive.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum