It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: General Developments

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 am

Well, we don't know the details. Big hotel chains would obviously have better fire safety measures in place than the average block of flats. Staff are trained to evacuate etc. Perhaps the cladding needs to come down as a precautionary measure but the fire services don't deem it to be an immediate danger to the public.

The biggest concern in that article is Cardiff Council saying they're unaware of the whole thing.

RandomComment

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 am

Amoore wrote:Well, we don't know the details. Big hotel chains would obviously have better fire safety measures in place than the average block of flats. Staff are trained to evacuate etc. Perhaps the cladding needs to come down as a precautionary measure but the fire services don't deem it to be an immediate danger to the public.

Thats my thinking. Could even be safer than a typical hotel because of mitigation measures in place - e.g. extra fire wardens, more practise with fire drills, etc. And rather than a little disruption to business, this kind of thing could leave a lasting impression on people. When you do a search for it, you'll find out about this cladding even in a few years time. Jobs could be at risk.

So if they've been told there is no immediate danger, but they'd get shafted by the bad publicity.. I don't think its incredibly immoral.

Frank

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm not sure what you're thinking of as immoral. The not naming of the hotel? So be it but what would profoundly concern me is if there was a court order/injunction. Sounds slightly unbelievable but you wonder nowadays.

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm

The Radisson would have been reclad quickly but for the contractor’s inability to hire staff. He first mentioned it to me last summer and every time I see him he laughs about his staff “churn”. His Facebook page is full of great photos of Cardiff he’s taken over the months. It is a pity that I can’t link to his page so that everyone here could see them but I need to respect his confidentiality. I doubt that there is much short term risk to guests from the cladding.

Cardiff

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:01 pm

Premier Inn Bay, the metal work now extends the full length of the street, quite a large building for this area.

Image20180223_103927 by Cardiff123 Cardiff123, on Flickr

Owen

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Glossop Road by the CRI is full of activity - the student accommodation on the west wing is now rising up, scaffolding around Longcross House for it’s demolition (32 flat housing association building to replace) and the CRI facing Glossop Road and south is now covered for what I hope and presume is a continuation of the amazing restoration works

Cardiff

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Along with Eclipse and the development on the bowling green this has really added density to the area, Glossop road is quite a large development.

amp

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pm

yeah its a hive of activity around here...what with Eastgate House, the various student developments on City Road and the work around the CRI. However what ever happened to the apartments in the church on Newport Road/Glossop Road.

Cardiff

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Nice to see the exterior being renovated, looks a good job too though not sure about them painting over some details like the pillars by the second floor windows

ImageHigh St Arcade by David Owen, on Flickr

Ash

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

What on earth is a "beach-style leisure destination"? To be fair, taking control of the Toys R Us site is probably a good move by the council as it seems very unlikely that another retailer would be interested in taking on that souless shed!

A troubled Toys R Us store could be taken over by Cardiff council because it wants to create a “beach-style leisure destination” in Cardiff Bay.

The authority has had a bid accepted to buy back the lease of the Toys R Us store in Cardiff International Sports Village after the retailer went into administration.

Cardiff council wants to take the site over so it has more land in Cardiff Bay to fund and create a “permanent beach-style” leisure destination in the area.

The beach idea forms part of an ongoing £240million redevelopment scheme of the area which involves hundreds of homes and new bars and restaurants.

Cardiff council already owns the freehold to the four-acre site and leases it to Toys R Us. Cabinet members will decide whether to take back the leasehold of the site at a meeting next Thursday (March 15).

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/council-wants-use-toys-r-14386566?utm_source=google_news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum