It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: General Developments

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 12:47 pm

LocalLurker wrote:http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_110672

Looks OK, nothing special but seems to add some height and much needed bulk to the skyline. Will be interesting to see what is planned on Bute Street, opposite Eversheds to provide a link between the Capital Quarter and Callaghan Square developments.

Are you talking about the corner plot on Callaghan Square South ? That's plot E04 which judging by what we've been discussing on the Callaghan Square thread has just started construction - an office for Deloitte most likely.

LocalLurker

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Is plot E04 the current site of No Fit State Circus as that's what I'm on about. I'm not even sure if there are even plans for the site yet but it will be the important link between the 2 schemes.

Karl

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 12:57 pm

The plans that I have seen for that building are about 6/7 storeys high at the most and they sort of curve round at the Bute Street end (supposedly to provide room for the mythical tram/train).

I wonder plans there are - if any - for the parcel of land that marks the northernmost point of Bute Street - where the temporary library was? I always thought that with the railway arches it could be quite a nice area for a few restaurants/bars etc with a mixture of office and residential. A bit like the Brewery Quarter.

Edit - just seen Local Lurkers post - plot E04 is for the south east corner of Callaghan Square. The area you are talking about is referred to in my 2nd paragraph above.

Kyle

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm

LocalLurker wrote:Is plot E04 the current site of No Fit State Circus as that's what I'm on about. I'm not even sure if there are even plans for the site yet but it will be the important link between the 2 schemes.

Ah okay, I did wonder.

Interesting what Karl has said though, I can't recall any plans for that plot ?

Jantra

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm

IIRC (and I may be wrong), but Altolusso is 19 storeys whereas this development, whilst the same height, is going to be 22 storeys. The apartments in this development are going to be around 13% or so lower in floor to ceiling height!!! follow the yellow brick road...

Shminky Binky

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Improvements in construction techniques means the thickness in the floors can be much thinner, although i doubt this would account for 13%. Does Altolusso have a large parking area at the base of the building boosting the overall height maybe?

Kyle

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:29 pm

It was interesting to see two towers in the plans as well, the residential one in this proposal and one directly opposite which is presumably planned to be a hotel. I'm glad they've grouped them at that end of the development as well. The train journey in from the east is going to look pretty good with a tower or two either side of the line with Alotolusso and the Radisson north of the railway line.

On top of that with plans to begin construction of the student housing, the car park and this next year it's looking really positive, especially when you throw in the other developments at Callaghan Square and Central Square. The crane count is going to be pretty impressive.

Karl

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Shminky Binky wrote:Improvements in construction techniques means the thickness in the floors can be much thinner, although i doubt this would account for 13%. Does Altolusso have a large parking area at the base of the building boosting the overall height maybe?

Doesn't Altolusso have a big prow at the top? Surely that adds a few metres to it's height?

DaiB

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Pretty sure Altolusso is over 20 stories.

DaiB

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

And also pretty sure that the development under discussion is Capital Quarter, not the 'circus' site.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum