It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

DavidH71

Re: General Developments

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Wales Online has a long-standing antipathy to Zenith (and many other new buildings) which borders on obsessional. But it fills space on the website and churning out another couple of hundred words about it is much quicker and easier than doing any of that exhausting "journalism" stuff. I actually think Zenith is one of the better tall buildings in Cardiff - not perfect, but definitely not like something from Russia.

Brian62

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 1:06 pm

I cannot stand the zenith building, it's almost as ugly as the old stock exchange tower. It's one of the few tall buildings I've never wanted to photograph. Not surprised about trying to use some as serviced apartments I've seen very few people going in or out since it opened. Following this pandemic it will be lucky to get half of the numbers it had.

The new residential block next door looks good in the pictures.

Cardiff

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:12 pm

I walked passed Zaneith a few time and it was always quite busy, the gym was alway full. I dont think its bad looking at all, the low rise section if pretty good IMO and the tower cleverly avoids facing the mid day sun, but has a rather poor outlook towards the bay.

oldishDevil

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 6:01 pm

"Don't get me started on Ty Pont Haearn"

Exactly.
I've said it before - as far as "tallish" buildings go it's 10 times uglier than Zenith.

For what it is I think Zenith turned out pretty well, but WalesOnline keep dredging up LewisBeecham's comment about it looking like some old 60's style Soviet tower. It doesn't.

DJKiran

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 8:40 pm

I think it looks ugly. Just...grey. Bridge Street Tower at least looks modern, and what was proposed for Fitzalan Place that hasn't come through yet, or the student flats next to Howard Gardens. They all look great.

Brian62

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:11 am

It's all a matter of taste. I forced myself to look at zenith yesterday afternoon and can still see no merit in it. I think I dislike it even more. Pity as I go past it two or more times a day, well I did before lock down.

Simon__200

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 9:47 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Petty point being, that our two closest city 'rivals' now have taller than us :cry: Will Watkin-Jones ever save the day for us?

Two closest city rivals? Are we airbrushing out Newport now?

DavidH71

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 11:13 am

Newport may technically be a city, but I wouldn't describe it as a rival. That's like saying the local 5-a-side football team are rivals of Manchester United! It acts as a commercial hub for that corner of south-east Wales but it really isn't on the same scale as Cardiff, and the low level of construction activity there is a reflection of that.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 pm

DavidH71 wrote:Newport may technically be a city, but I wouldn't describe it as a rival. That's like saying the local 5-a-side football team are rivals of Manchester United! It acts as a commercial hub for that corner of south-east Wales but it really isn't on the same scale as Cardiff, and the low level of construction activity there is a reflection of that.

Well yes that was pretty much the way I was thinking - I wasn't ignoring Newport, I think Newport gets unfair bad press and personally I never completely understand why, when I visit. I thought I was being generous mentioning Swansea!! but in the context of what I was saying kinda had to as they have a taller tower!! :D Only Joking wouldn't want to upset any Swansea folk reading this. Besides maybe Bristolians think we flatter ourselves believing us as a rival to them? (bloody cheek!! :lol: )
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon__200

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 8:59 am

DavidH71 wrote:Newport may technically be a city, but I wouldn't describe it as a rival. That's like saying the local 5-a-side football team are rivals of Manchester United! It acts as a commercial hub for that corner of south-east Wales but it really isn't on the same scale as Cardiff, and the low level of construction activity there is a reflection of that.

It's all relative. You're calling Swansea a rival of Cardiff, and Cardiff a rival of Bristol. You could stick Cardiff in a corner of Bristol and you probably wouldn't even notice it. Similarly Bristol eith London. There's always a bigger fish.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum