It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: General Developments

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Any one got any guesses on what the council are planning for the Toys R Us site? When they aquired the leashold interest a few weeks back there was talk of a "beach style attraction" but this week Wales Online reported on a speech by council leader Huw Thomas as follows.

Mr Thomas said of the Sports Village project, whose facilities include the Ice Arena Wales and the Cardiff International Pool: “I remember being in meetings with developers five years ago where a lot was promised, but for a variety of reasons that has not emerged.

"But developers [property] will understand, I think, why the council buying Toy R Us is an important move. By bringing the council’s land ownership under a single development site, it will now allow us to rebuild that lost momentum of the Sports Village as a leisure and tourism destination site.

"Again this is the council intervening, getting involved, and doing what it needs to do to kick start a new phase of development in the city.”

Mr Thomas said the use of the Toy R Us store site had yet to be determined, but added: “We are not going to build a beach, but the truth is that the Sports Village has lost its way and stalled.”

So if it's not a beach they have in mind what else might ' rebuild that lost momentum of the Sports Village as a leisure and tourism destination site'?

The Arena is (rightly) going elsewhere and it doesn't seem the right fit for a new stadium for the Blues.

Cardiff

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 1:07 pm

I believe they should continue residential apartment blocks down Watkiss way overlooking the white water rafting center, and then build a large multi storey car opposite the ice arena and then use the remainder of the land opposite the pool for tennis courts/beach volley ball courts etc that can have some kind of retractable roof. The land that is proposed for retail/hotel etc should just get going on that.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Well for some time now plans were to have an indoor ski slope - Maybe it's along those lines? far to prices? I'm sure that such an attraction would certainly re-ignite interest in the sports village. I also think that the whole Bayscape development will play it's part when complete. Also not quite Staten Island ferry! :lol: but I'd love to see a water boat service from Mermaid Quay to the Sports Village.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Ash

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm

The indoor ski-slope was meant to be on a different site, next to the ice rink. It could be that the council is planning some trade off of the Toys R Us land in return for its completion.

Cardiff is right though - there needs to be multi-story car parking as part of any plans. Parking is a nightmare when there are events being held in the pool or IAW.

Shminky Binky

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 pm

I’m surprised an aquarium has never been looked at for the bay. This site would be ideal for one.

Philnpt

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Cromwell house is to be demolished to make way for an 8 story easy hotel
https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_123181

Philnpt

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Not sure what to think of it really
Attachments
23BB093F-26C5-42FA-B468-2DC3E9B6500F.jpeg
23BB093F-26C5-42FA-B468-2DC3E9B6500F.jpeg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 6588 times

DJKiran

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:34 pm

At least it looks better

Cardiff

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm

With the student scheme next door this road is going to look very plasticy, cant say i prefer this design to whats there now either.

Ash

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

DJKiran wrote:At least it looks better

Anything would be an improvement on Cromwell House! Having said that, this design is far from great.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum