It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

General Developments

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:22 am

Apologies if there is already a General Development file - I couldn't find one.

Two new developments that may be of interest. The YHA look to be taking over what I think is the Premier Inn which is near the Magic Roundabout just as you enter the industrial estate/office park. A few years ago the YHA were looking at building in Bridge Street in the gap between the Chapel restaurant and Charles Street. That looks scuppered now and it's difficult to envisage what will be built there. The current YHA facility in Wedal Road will close.

Secondly the Ebenezer Chapel in Charles St has received a grant of £150,000 from the Jane Hodge Foundation which I understand will part finance a long term plan to build conferencing facilities, 'community space' and a cafe. A little while ago Raymond Blanc was looking to set up one of his restaurants here but pulled out as the costs of conversion were prohibitive. Estimated costs for this current plan are set at £1.2m so Raymond had a point.

amp

Re: General Developments

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Sad about YHA moving destination, i hate that gap between the Chapel and Charles Street. Wonder what will happen after the staff has moved into admiral, will anything happen to the rapport site, and the before mentioned gap. i hope another big office is built on the rapport site or maybe some green space lol.

speaking about around the admiral build, The motor point needs a good overhaul also, new glazing or cladding would be great.

Kyle

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 2:13 pm

I think the Rapport site is a decent site for a hotel personally, and that or residential is probably most realistic. Right next to St.Davids and the CIA and close to other hotels.

As much as I like the thought of a big office going there I would imagine that, other than Admiral needing a second new office, most of the new offices will be confined to one of four sites - JR Smart's Capital Quarter, Rightacres Capital Square, Callaghan Square South and south of Cardiff Central. All of that is a HUGE amount of offices for Cardiff so I just can't see the Rapport site having a new office there. I'd love to see it though.

On top of all the above there's going to be a fair amount of secondary space becoming available in the next couple of years with Admiral vacting Capital Tower and any other offices being vacated by organisations relocating across town to one of the big new schemes (such as Oakleigh House which alone is 41,000sq foot). See below

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/cardiff-office-development-oakleigh-house-7631652

Although it's less interesting than shiny new buildings I'm becoming more and more curious what's going to happen to buildings such as Oakleigh House, Capital Tower and Bradley Court (where Morgan Cole/Blake Morgan are vacating). Those three buildings alone all in the same part of town are going to be empty within 18 months.

amp

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 pm

[quote="Kyle"]I think the Rapport site is a decent site for a hotel personally, and that or residential is probably most realistic. Right next to St.Davids and the CIA and close to other hotels.

As much as I like the thought of a big office going there I would imagine that, other than Admiral needing a second new office, most of the new offices will be confined to one of four sites - JR Smart's Capital Quarter, Rightacres Capital Square, Callaghan Square South and south of Cardiff Central. All of that is a HUGE amount of offices for Cardiff so I just can't see the Rapport site having a new office there. I'd love to see it though.

hotel or office i don't mind, but something is needed, I wouldn't want my HQ to be next to that horrible rapport car park. so maybe when admiral is totally finished, something may be encouraged to go there. i also understand its part of cardiff's CBD also.

Kyle

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:55 pm

amp wrote:
Kyle wrote:I think the Rapport site is a decent site for a hotel personally, and that or residential is probably most realistic. Right next to St.Davids and the CIA and close to other hotels.

hotel or office i don't mind, but something is needed, I wouldn't want my HQ to be next to that horrible rapport car park. so maybe when admiral is totally finished, something may be encouraged to go there. i also understand its part of cardiff's CBD also.

You are 100% correct wth everything you've said. It's a shithole and needs removing. If I remember correctly Rightacres were involved with MA Rapport for the Admiral building. Obviously it went across the road and bugger all has happened since.

It would be nice to see the old mixed-use scheme proposal re-introduced. Anything half decent would do really !

Ash

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Karl wrote: Secondly the Ebenezer Chapel in Charles St has received a grant of £150,000 from the Jane Hodge Foundation which I understand will part finance a long term plan to build conferencing facilities, 'community space' and a cafe. A little while ago Raymond Blanc was looking to set up one of his restaurants here but pulled out as the costs of conversion were prohibitive. Estimated costs for this current plan are set at £1.2m so Raymond had a point.

The Chapel has been bought by the Catholic Church - so it makes sense that the Hodge family would back their plans. As I understand it the Church is planning to use the former chapel as a community outreach facility and to hold smaller services which are currently held in the Cathedral opposite.

Ebeneser weren't in Charles Street for very long. Their original chapel in Paradise Place was demolished when the original Saint David's Centre was built. The Charles Street building was originaly an English language chapel. I believe Ebeneser are planning a new-build chapel In Whitchurch / Llandaff North although I have no idea if they have a site in mind.

Cardiff

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Great little development on penarth sea front, reat to see it coming to completion

ImageP9026051 by Cardiff123, on Flickr

Kyle

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 pm

It seems that the old chauffeur site near Cardiff Bay station is finally getting that Dixie development that I'm sure we
saw a few years ago

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/former-chauffeur-business-demolished-make-7735538

http://www.portabella.co.uk/developments/dixie/

Jantra

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Kyle wrote:It seems that the old chauffeur site near Cardiff Bay station is finally getting that Dixie development that I'm sure we
saw a few years ago

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/former-chauffeur-business-demolished-make-7735538

yay more bland apartments in the bay, just what we need

penarth bloke

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Jantra wrote:
Kyle wrote:It seems that the old chauffeur site near Cardiff Bay station is finally getting that Dixie development that I'm sure we
saw a few years ago

yay more bland apartments in the bay, just what we need

They say that's its designed to complement existing buildings, WHAT?? Looks exactly the same as many other developments. No imagination used and as you say, bland. better the site was left as it was. :oops:
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum