It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:50 am


General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 901
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: General Developments

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

It's bland as shit, I agree with you on that, but it goes to show that using vague terms such as 'compliment existing buildings' can get you through planning.

Looking at the picture it does compliment the building next to it, it kind of fits in - it's got the same colours, roughly has the same window size layout and is roughly the same height. It seems as if that's enough these days, which is a bloody shame.

Is it better that the site is left as it is rather than have this ? I'm not sure either way to be honest.

Something more interesting often means something more expensive and it's right next to social housing, so have they gone cheap on materials because they'll never sell each apartment for very much ?
Offline

Karl

  • Posts: 455
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 am

I don't mind it. It's an infill development replacing a derelict garage. From the renders it looks as though the fenestration will match up to the existing terrace (which is more than can be said about the extension on the Blind Institute in Newport Rd) and it will extend that block in a similar style albeit with a few modern flourishes.

The terrace that this development adjoins is lovely and I'm glad the proposal is not something showy and overpowering. Directly to the north is a three storey block of pebble dashed flats of the most uninspiring design. A cutting edge building here would look incongruous in my opinion. Also the point about the value that the flats would go for given it's location is a good one - that must have affected the design process.

Sometimes less is more. This development will win no prizes but I don't think it's awful, it will link the Bay and Butetown and will add a bit of bulk to a currently derelict site.

Jantra

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 am

Karl wrote:I don't mind it. It's an infill development replacing a derelict garage. From the renders it looks as though the fenestration will match up to the existing terrace (which is more than can be said about the extension on the Blind Institute in Newport Rd) and it will extend that block in a similar style albeit with a few modern flourishes.

The terrace that this development adjoins is lovely and I'm glad the proposal is not something showy and overpowering. Directly to the north is a three storey block of pebble dashed flats of the most uninspiring design. A cutting edge building here would look incongruous in my opinion. Also the point about the value that the flats would go for given it's location is a good one - that must have affected the design process.

Sometimes less is more. This development will win no prizes but I don't think it's awful, it will link the Bay and Butetown and will add a bit of bulk to a currently derelict site.


I love the irony here
Offline

Karl

  • Posts: 455
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 am

You are going to have to explain that to me.
Offline

wizard

  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 am

My hopes were really raised last week when I saw lots of purple and black painted portacabins (and new fencing) around the bottom end of the Cardiff Bay train station.

It was only when I looked across the road and saw that these were the colours surrounding the above mentioned housing development across the road that I realised that it was an overspill area being commandeered by the builders rather than an unannounced project on the rail station building!
Offline

wizard

  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 10:30 am

In other news - I don't know if I'm just behind the times, but I only realised that there is a cafe on the first floor of Waterstones on the weekend. It was eerily quiet in there though.
Offline

Karl

  • Posts: 455
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

wizard wrote:In other news - I don't know if I'm just behind the times, but I only realised that there is a cafe on the first floor of Waterstones on the weekend. It was eerily quiet in there though.


It's been there for a few months now. As you say eerily quiet. I've been tempted to go in a few times but, ironically for a bookshop there is no reading material. If I'm having a coffee I like to read the papers.....

In other news the unit opposite Cafe Minuet in Castle Arcade now has a further reincarnation. It's called Seasons and when I went past the other day looked quite busy. I hope it stays that way but that unit seems cursed.
Offline

wizard

  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 am

Yes - I found that odd also. There were board games to play but I was there on my own so found myself twiddling my thumbs.

I rather shamefully got out my mobile to surf the net - which felt so wrong in a bookshop!

Jantra

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Karl wrote:You are going to have to explain that to me.


the lack of visual awareness of what the extension would look like when completed on the Blind Institute
Offline

Karl

  • Posts: 455
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: General Developments

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 1:12 pm

I see now - no pun intended....sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake today
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests