It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: General Developments

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am

Jantra wrote:It would appear that CCC want the Welsh government, city region and the private sector to finance their arena in full. Just how much will CCC contribute?

Nothing it would seem.

I think the Red Dragon site is the best proposal here. It would definitely give Cardiff Bay the 'polish' it needs. The problem would be shipping people from Cardiff Central, which undoubtedly would require a new tram route, perhaps the beginning of the metro? I feel the centre isn't what it used to be and is mainly kept alive due to the cinema. There's no reason why they can't keep the cinema there just moved. Same with the current food outlets and Hollywood bowl.

Jantra

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:42 am

I'd prefer Callaghan Square. it is near central, near the hotels, and near the road network (via Herbert Street)

Kyle

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 am

Jantra wrote:I'd prefer Callaghan Square. it is near central, near the hotels, and near the road network (via Herbert Street)

I thought that site was pretty much earmarked for the new Cardiff Met campus, but then we haven't heard anything about that for a while so it could be they've chosen somewhere else.

Rhodri

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41515684

Interesting and may be a chance to build something on the site next to the Senedd? If the Arena and associated transport improvements come off this could be impressive

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 am

Msmurf wrote:County Hall - No - This is just an excuse for Cardiiff Council to build themeselves another new set of offices

I'm not sure this is fair. Those offices are over 30 years old now - and office buildings of that era haven't tended to age that well. I wouldn't be surprised if a comprehensive refurbishment were in order, to modernise facilities, make more efficient use of space, etc: but you can imagine the difficulty in spending several millions doing that at the moment.

The low-rise offices and car park also sprawl, making inefficient use of the land. If the right deal came along, demolishing county hall, building something higher-value higher-density there, and moving to a more efficient building, could save council taxpayers money, and improve operations at the council. The question is whether this proposal would meet those requirements? I'm not sure given the need for WG and City Deal funding.

Jantra

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 am

Rhodri wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41515684

Interesting and may be a chance to build something on the site next to the Senedd? If the Arena and associated transport improvements come off this could be impressive

With all due respect £1.1m will get you a decent sized house and that's about it.

Rhodri

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 am

The money is for scoping and is committed if a decision is made to go for a new build.

Jantra

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Rhodri wrote:The money is for scoping and is committed if a decision is made to go for a new build.

I am the dullest.

Why don't they just build on assembly square and be done with it

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Artist image published by Cardiff Council. The water around the area heavily suggests Cardiff Bay.
Attachments
Conceptual-images-released-by-Cardiff-council-about-the-possible-new-arena-for-the-city.jpg
Conceptual-images-released-by-Cardiff-council-about-the-possible-new-arena-for-the-city.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 9145 times

Cen

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 pm

It definitely seems like their preferred option is the bay. They may have already made a decision, and just want to be seen to be considering other sites.

I hadn’t thought about a conference centre going there, but it does make a lot of sense. Lloyd George Avenue, the Central Link road and the Eastern Bay Link provide good access to this by road. Stick a tram line on Lloyd George and we may actually have the necessary infrastructure. Who’d have thought we could say that about Cardiff!?

They could still balls it up mind...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum