It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 pm


General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 am

There's plenty of screens in Cardiff.

Premier, VUE, Odeon and Cineworld. Then you had Tramshed, Chapter and so on.

Although I do think there would be a market for luxury viewing screens. The gallery in the Bay does well, and I personally would be tempted to try it out for the right film.
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 am

Ash wrote:
Lyndon wrote:Is there enough demand for another cinema in Cardiff?

Premiere at the Capitol Centre has six screens, I believe.


I know Cardiff was considered as 'overscreened' even before Premiere (re)opened.

I think I'm right in saying that only around half the screens in Vue are in use so that's a possible location - although it would be rather odd to have two multiplexes, one on top of the other.


I've not been to VUE for a few months since Cineworld dropped it's priced, but they did use every screen on that one floor. Is there screens above that main level? I've never seen that in use
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 819
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 8:58 am

Add in Showcase Nantgarw to that list. I know it's outside of Cardiff, but only a few miles up the road from some of the northern suburbs. I'm not sure how many people from Cardiff use it, but Showcase certainly market it as a Cardiff cinema (I think they call it Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw).
Offline

Cen

  • Posts: 517
  • Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 9:33 am

It may be true that we have too many screens in Cardiff, but the side effect of that is extremely cheap tickets when compared with most other places. At one point it was cheaper for me to take the train from Swansea and watch a film over here than pay £12 for a ticket at the VUE over there!

Since they all dropped their prices, it feels like they’ve all been a lot busier. Perhaps the “rip ‘em off” business model was wrong in the first place...
Offline

NorthCityBoy

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 am

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 am

Kyle wrote:Add in Showcase Nantgarw to that list. I know it's outside of Cardiff, but only a few miles up the road from some of the northern suburbs. I'm not sure how many people from Cardiff use it, but Showcase certainly market it as a Cardiff cinema (I think they call it Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw).


Living in Whitchurch, Nantgarw would be a good option for me but it’s just so expensive. If I wanted to take my three kids it’s £28 for a family ticket.
Premiere does a family ticket for £14. I can get the train and buy them drinks and sweets from the Spar next door and it’s still cheaper.
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 819
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 am

NorthCityBoy wrote:
Kyle wrote:Add in Showcase Nantgarw to that list. I know it's outside of Cardiff, but only a few miles up the road from some of the northern suburbs. I'm not sure how many people from Cardiff use it, but Showcase certainly market it as a Cardiff cinema (I think they call it Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw).


Living in Whitchurch, Nantgarw would be a good option for me but it’s just so expensive. If I wanted to take my three kids it’s £28 for a family ticket.
Premiere does a family ticket for £14. I can get the train and buy them drinks and sweets from the Spar next door and it’s still cheaper.


Yeah, it is expensive.

I only have one child so not such an issue, but living in Caerphilly (when not in Dubai) it's easier to go there time wise and parking is free so by the time I take into account travel costs and parking it's pretty much the same. It's much worse with a bigger family though so I can see why you'd make that choice.
Offline

Simon__200

  • Posts: 215
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 am

Kyle wrote:Add in Showcase Nantgarw to that list. I know it's outside of Cardiff, but only a few miles up the road from some of the northern suburbs. I'm not sure how many people from Cardiff use it, but Showcase certainly market it as a Cardiff cinema (I think they call it Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw).

Showcase is expensive, grotty and comfortable though compared to cinemas in Cardiff. It's well due a makeover.


I think that in Cardiff we might be over-screened, but the problem is that each location seems to show the same blockbuster type movies. When a movie had a limited release, despite having so many screens, it often doesn't get shown at all in Cardiff.

Two examples I can think of movies I wanted to see are 45 Years starring Charlotte Rampling, and Captain Fantastic starring Viggo Mortenson. Despite all those screens in Cardiff, not one cinema decided to pick up either movie,mand they're not particularly obscure or art house. Often seems to happen in Cardiff, 20 odd screens all showing the latest Marvel drivel.
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 797
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 10:18 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:
I've not been to VUE for a few months since Cineworld dropped it's priced, but they did use every screen on that one floor. Is there screens above that main level? I've never seen that in use


There were thirteen screens when it first opened so, yes, there's at least anther floor's worth.

Edit; Floorplans here http://www.stadiumplaza.co.uk/FloorPlanPage.pdf
Last edited by Ash on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 am

There must be 50 or so screens in the city centre / bay.

VUE 13
Cineworld 15
Premier 6
Odeon 12 ish?
Tramshed 1
Chapter 1
Gate 1
Everyman (?) 4
Offline

Lyndon

  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: General Developments

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

NorthCityBoy wrote:Living in Whitchurch, Nantgarw would be a good option for me but it’s just so expensive. If I wanted to take my three kids it’s £28 for a family ticket.
Premiere does a family ticket for £14. I can get the train and buy them drinks and sweets from the Spar next door and it’s still cheaper.


We used to go to Nantgarw regularly, it's actually quicker to get to if you live in north Cardiff, and more convenient for parking. But the price differential has become too big to ignore so we go to Premiere now, or Cineworld since they've cut their prices too.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests