It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: General Developments

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 am

that was posted on here fairly recently. from what i recall the development integrates with the underside of the bridge in a fairly interesting way

Zach

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty has also raised concerns. (on this development in "East Bay Close" :lol: )

“Redeveloping brownfield sites for accommodation or new businesses has always been a key part of the regeneration of Cardiff Bay and the city centre but some of these developments – whether student tower blocks or the monstrosity proposed for Dolffin Quay – seem to be being pushed without proper regard for the impact on parking and local services.

“Local people and long-established communities in Butetown and the Bay are already experiencing significant pressures and it is not acceptable to build thousands of new residential or student places without proper plans to cope with the additional people.

“Many of these buildings are also going up with little thought about the skyline, architecture and long-term building quality. We do not want Cardiff to become a city of shadows, or simply create a new generation of 70s multi-storey carparks.”

For once I actually agree with him!

AlwaysBeBlue

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

"Many of these buildings are also going up with little thought about the skyline, architecture and long-term building quality. We do not want Cardiff to become a city of shadows, or simply create a new generation of 70s multi-storey carparks"

I don't know if this is comedy hour here or not..but "City of Shadows" ?

For gods sake... there are a few buildings over 18 stories and even with the additions over the next few years, we are hardly talking down town Manhattan !

Big cities need income from within more than without.. Cardiff should push for more apartments for people to live inner city, this keeps a city ticking over when everyone else goes home.

Student accommodation is not adding to congestion as students are already here, taking up what could be family homes in Roath and other areas.. plus students will add to the economy of the city centre keeping people in jobs.

Time for Cardiff to grow and think big, we are not a big village

sebcity

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:47 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:"Many of these buildings are also going up with little thought about the skyline, architecture and long-term building quality. We do not want Cardiff to become a city of shadows, or simply create a new generation of 70s multi-storey carparks"

I don't know if this is comedy hour here or not..but "City of Shadows" ?

For gods sake... there are a few buildings over 18 stories and even with the additions over the next few years, we are hardly talking down town Manhattan !

Big cities need income from within more than without.. Cardiff should push for more apartments for people to live inner city, this keeps a city ticking over when everyone else goes home.

Student accommodation is not adding to congestion as students are already here, taking up what could be family homes in Roath and other areas.. plus students will add to the economy of the city centre keeping people in jobs.

Time for Cardiff to grow and think big, we are not a big village

I disagree, who cares if the buildings are 18 stories high or 88 stories high, let's get the ones that we are building right and able to stand the test of time!!

I do agree with you on your other sentiments though, Cathays and surround is a ghost town in the summer, and the centre noticeably quieter in the weekday without Students. Cardiff needs more permanent residents and business in the centre, just like most functioning modern cities!

And lets extend southwards towards the bay while we're at it! I've never understood 'two city centre's' which have the potential to be wonderfully interlocked. I dream of a Cardiff where people utilise services and leisure along the route to the bay, not just as a thoroughfare!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:52 pm

The site of that rightacres proposed tower just past the college on dumballs road has been cleaned up - could this be a sign that construction is likely to commence soon? it often is

is this 23 storey tower on its way?

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Did it get planning permission then?

Peiriannydd

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 pm

I seem to recall that it did get permission.

As an aside, I know that there are several (in excess of 5) towers outside the ones already mentioned on this forum that are possible for Cardiff. They're in the range of 20-25 storeys. At the moment, the numbers aren't quite stacking up for developers and the property market is cooling somewhat. Being outside London and Manchester, conditions will need to improved before these get going. But if things improve, I imagine we'll see a similar glut to the recently proposed student accomodation developments.

Jantra

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:01 am

Are they more student resi?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Jantra wrote:Are they more student resi?

No I don't believe they are!! in fact there's something peculiar going on in this neck of the woods with Brickworks (under construction) and Curran Rd Tower (proposed) and this one, and none of them are student accomm - How peculiar, it'll never catch on!! :lol:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Nice to see some regular residential going up. It would be nice if we get quite a few schemes that side of Penarth road over the next few years, and then a few places to eat and drink along the Taff as part of the Central Quay scheme.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum