It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Core cities group

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Briz-Tim

Core cities group

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

So apparently Cardiff council has been in serious talks about wanting to join the core cities group.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardi ... ty-7665825

https://www.caerdydd.gov.uk/ENG/Your-Co ... group.aspx

What is the likeliness of this happening, and what real effect or power does this group actually have? Is it just another ineffectual quango? If it is worth pursuing could Cardiff's capital status be a handicap in this instance, or would its relative size and stature negate that? Interestingly, Glasgow is now a member however Edinburgh is not.

Barden

Re: Core cities group

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I don't see what harm can come from it, assuming (perhaps naively) there is no cost to the taxpayer associated with it.
I would consider measures to help counter-balance the pull of economic pull of London are a good thing, really, but I don't know if the Core Cities Group have had much tangible success yet.

Ash

Re: Core cities group

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 11:29 am

There was an intresting piece about this group in the Sunday Times (£). I don't see much harm in Cardiff joining but its hard to see how some of their ideas would dovetail with devolution. They seem more relevant to English cities.

The reason for (Labour controlled) Glasgow's membership is pretty clearly a piece of political gamesmanship against SNP controlled Holyrood.In Cardiff's case I doubt the council would go ahead with joining without having had the nod from the WG. I can't really see any reason why the WG would object although I'm not sure it would achieve anything.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum