It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm

Welsh Language learning for adults

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Welsh Language learning for adults

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Forum

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for courses in Welsh and whilst I'm not a complete novice having had some tuition I'd like to start at the beginning as this time I intend to see it through to the end. Preferably I'd like an intense course of maybe one whole day per week rather than just an hour or so at an evening class. Does anyone have any idea of where to start?

NB this is not a thread about the Welsh Language or its usefulness so if you can't get your head around that then please do the decent thing and leave

george

Re: Welsh Language learning for adults

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Karl

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 8:42 am

A friend of mine took a fairly intensive course at Cardiff Uni - I think it was a 3 hour session, twice a week. He did it for about 2 years and according to my wife, who is a fluent Welsh speaker, he's pretty much fluent now just a bit rusty because he doesn't speak it so often these days. I hope that helps.

Also the Wlpan course which I think is very intensive tends to get good results or so I have heard. Good luck, I'm one of those people who would like to speak Welsh but I simply don't have the application to actually make a sustained effort to learn.

As an aside, and at the risk of de-railing this thread which I really don't want to do, I would estimate that I know about 500-1000 Welsh words and I can say simple sentences, read very straightforward texts but in the census I said that I had no skills in the Welsh language because I thought that fitted by personal circumstances best although it wasn't exactly true. I wonder how many others fit these circumstances and what, if any, difference it makes.

Jantra

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 pm

thanks to both of you

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum