It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote: On a lighter note, the Foresters aka the Mad House in Canton is now a Papa John's Pizza takeaway. It was an awful pub, dirty and full of lunatics, but Canton now has way more takeaways than is healthy, in my opinion.

That's cetainly true of the stretch between Saint David's Hospital and the Corporation. There's a lack of variety of takeaways too compared to the Roath side of the city.

Jantra

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Not wanting to go on about it but as you've given your opinion I'm going to give mine. Hamilton street towards cathedral road is riverside and will never be Pontcanna. Pontcanna is the name for the bridge and fields over the stream that feeds in to the taff.

In that part of the city canton is further up cathedral road following kings road and pontcanna street. If you're going to call anything pontcanna then that would be the houses north of cathedral road around what was the electricity club

Not sure about your nonsense regarding penarth docks being converted to the marina. Penarth docks were always part of penarth, just like cogan is.

NB the avatar is not about Banksy but more to do with the ideal it represents. Have a listen to bye bye badman

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Jantra wrote:Not wanting to go on about it but as you've given your opinion I'm going to give mine. Hamilton street towards cathedral road is riverside and will never be Pontcanna. Pontcanna is the name for the bridge and fields over the stream that feeds in to the taff.

In that part of the city canton is further up cathedral road following kings road and pontcanna street. If you're going to call anything pontcanna then that would be the houses north of cathedral road around what was the electricity club

Not sure about your nonsense regarding penarth docks being converted to the marina. Penarth docks were always part of penarth, just like cogan is.

NB the avatar is not about Banksy but more to do with the ideal it represents. Have a listen to bye bye badman

It is you that is wrong. Nobody on earth, apart from you, thinks that Pontcanna is the name of a bridge or "fields over the stream". It is an area, with indistinct borders, but still an area of Cardiff distinct from Canton and Riverside. No one, and I mean no one at all, apart from you, thinks that Pontcanna street is in Canton.

As for Penarth, if you ask people who were born and bred in the town, Penarth marina and Cogan are separate areas to Penarth proper. Of course, a social climber like yourself would never admit that or be comfortable with the reality because it doesn't fit with your idea of who you are.

Once the sports village really takes shape your neighbourhood will increasingly be lumped in with it, even in the minds of ignorant outsiders.

Like I said, the marina never has been and never will be part of Penarth proper, in the minds of true Penarthians anyway.

You would have to be a Penarthian to perceive the truth in this, and you're just not a Penarthian.

Ash

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 10:26 am

Oh God I wish I hadn't started this...

Back on topic... what are people's thoughts on the best traditional cafes / greasy spoons in Cardiff? I'd go for the Tuck In on Cowbridge Rd and the Black and White Cafe on Penarth Rd.

Rhodri

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Ramones on Salisbury Rd was good, AJ's on City Rd was good too. The king though is Pillars.

Jantra

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:Not wanting to go on about it but as you've given your opinion I'm going to give mine. Hamilton street towards cathedral road is riverside and will never be Pontcanna. Pontcanna is the name for the bridge and fields over the stream that feeds in to the taff.

It is you that is wrong. Nobody on earth, apart from you, thinks that Pontcanna is the name of a bridge or "fields over the stream". It is an area, with indistinct borders, but still an area of Cardiff distinct from Canton and Riverside. No one, and I mean no one at all, apart from you, thinks that Pontcanna street is in Canton.

As for Penarth, if you ask people who were born and bred in the town, Penarth marina and Cogan are separate areas to Penarth proper. Of course, a social climber like yourself would never admit that or be comfortable with the reality because it doesn't fit with your idea of who you are.

Once the sports village really takes shape your neighbourhood will increasingly be lumped in with it, even in the minds of ignorant outsiders.

Like I said, the marina never has been and never will be part of Penarth proper, in the minds of true Penarthians anyway.

You would have to be a Penarthian to perceive the truth in this, and you're just not a Penarthian.

I'm honestly not bothered whether Penarth docks was ever classed as Penarth, Cogan or on its own. But then i'm not really bothered by being part of the elite that you clearly aspire to. As to being a Penarthian - are you for real. I'm a Canton boy and always will be.

to suggest that no one else considers the area around the Cameo club as Canton is absurd. I'm assuming you must have asked every single former and current resident of Canton or Riverside to make this claim? Having been schooled in St Mary's with pupils from Canton and Riverside, perhaps you can let me know where you think St Mary's is based (either the school or Church will be fine)? None of us ever considered this area anything other than Canton or Riverside, Pontcanna arose when the crachach moved in i.e. people like yourself.

I'm finished with this conversation now, its new levels of tedium. You carry on believing you live in some elite area and you're part of something a bit aloof from the rest of us, after all, with your scathing repartee and rapier like wit you're demonstrating an intellect above and beyond the rest of us forumers.

Jantra

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Ash wrote:Oh God I wish I hadn't started this...

Back on topic... what are people's thoughts on the best traditional cafes / greasy spoons in Cardiff? I'd go for the Tuck In on Cowbridge Rd and the Black and White Cafe on Penarth Rd.

the black and white is a favourite. I'd also suggest the busy teapot in Penarth but I'd have Mr Ad Hominem accusing me of trying to identify above my station :roll:

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I'm honestly not bothered whether Penarth docks was ever classed as Penarth, Cogan or on its own. But then i'm not really bothered by being part of the elite that you clearly aspire to. As to being a Penarthian - are you for real. I'm a Canton boy and always will be.

to suggest that no one else considers the area around the Cameo club as Canton is absurd. I'm assuming you must have asked every single former and current resident of Canton or Riverside to make this claim? Having been schooled in St Mary's with pupils from Canton and Riverside, perhaps you can let me know where you think St Mary's is based (either the school or Church will be fine)? None of us ever considered this area anything other than Canton or Riverside, Pontcanna arose when the crachach moved in i.e. people like yourself.

I'm finished with this conversation now, its new levels of tedium. You carry on believing you live in some elite area and you're part of something a bit aloof from the rest of us, after all, with your scathing repartee and rapier like wit you're demonstrating an intellect above and beyond the rest of us forumers.

Quantum cafe at the bottom of Severn Road is the best as their standard breakfast is £3:89 including tea or coffee. I go there on my Birthday most years and it's improved a lot since it was the Severn Road cafe. I find the cafés on Pontcanna Street to be both pricey and poncey.

The good thing about Canton/Pontcanna is that there are about sixty or so places to where you can sit down eat; cafés, restaurants and pubs and a huge variety of cuisines, ambiences and prices. There are about twenty takeaways too.

The chips from the Codfather are always so fresh and light; the Janata Palace has been doing bog standard Bangladeshi curries for years but they are very well done; Bullys, Bamboo Garden, Standard Balti, Cinnamon Tree have all been around for over a decade. I could probably name ten more that I like.
What a great place to live

lucky

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

I went to Bullys at the weekend. Nice place, generally good food (the roast beef was a tad tough), excellent wines, knowledgeable proprietor but my Scots father was horrified to find his post-prandial Drambuie drowned in ice; he's of the traditional persuasion. The food's very good value.

And could I make a plea for people not to requote multiple previous posts in full when they reply to stuff? It's a message board; if you're replying to the message directly above, we'll all have just read that bit anyway. As it is, we have to wade through it 3 or 4 times. It just makes you look even more of an argumentative git than you may be naturally.

RandomComment

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

http://www.propertyweek.com/news/news-b ... 12.article

Burger and Lobster are paying only £150,000 per year for 11,000 square feet in the former Habitat building. Restaurants in St Davids would be paying something like £250,000 for 6,000 square feet I'd imagine (retail stores are often paying that amount for more like 4000 square feet!), so that seems like an absolute steal - although the entire restaurant is on the upper floors, and doesn't have any ground floor seating (or outdoor seating).

I'm surprised they partitioned the Habitat building as they did. I thought they'd get more money and have an easier time letting it if they had split it into 2 - 3 units all with ground floor access. I wonder why this didn't happen? Was it Listed Building issues which prevented such a partition - because it would involve breaking up existing frontages? If so, shows flexibility is sometimes needed for the sake of the vitality of the city.

This might also explain difficulty in retail letting. I imagine it would be hard to get someone to take on either the 22,000 square feet of the full building, or to agree to take on just the upper floors (retailers now hate this): probably would have been easier to have 3 retailers take stores over 2 levels (inc Ground).
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum