It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

MattW

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am

Was in St David's on Sunday, Pret didn't have a spare seat whereas Eat was only half full.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... s-14796759

Can't say I am surprised tbh, wonder who will take on the unit?

jonnywill25

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am

MattW wrote:Was in St David's on Sunday, Pret didn't have a spare seat whereas Eat was only half full.

LEON would be a great replacement. They seem to be expanding outside of London, with stores now in Manchester, Birmingham, Brighton and Oxford. Would certainly give Pret a bit of competition.

I'm trying to think what sort of restaurant chains would be suitable to take over the Chimi Changa unit? Any thoughts?

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:11 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:
MattW wrote:Was in St David's on Sunday, Pret didn't have a spare seat whereas Eat was only half full.

LEON would be a great replacement. They seem to be expanding outside of London, with stores now in Manchester, Birmingham, Brighton and Oxford. Would certainly give Pret a bit of competition.

I'm trying to think what sort of restaurant chains would be suitable to take over the Chimi Changa unit? Any thoughts?

My son loves CAU. It is an Argentine-style steakhouse chain.

I went (with my son and grandson) into the Miller and Carter in town, on spec, on Father’s Day at 5pm and it was jammed. We were told that there were no tables till 8:30 pm! So we went elsewhere instead for an overdose of BBQ. I’m not overly keen on Miller and Carter but it is undeniable that the chain is a huge success and that, given the demand for decent steak, CAU could be a success in Cardiff.

https://www.caurestaurants.com

Simon_SW17

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 am

Cau's owners, Gaucho, are currently trying to offload it so I'm not sure it will be expanding anywhere soon.

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Cau's owners, Gaucho, are currently trying to offload it so I'm not sure it will be expanding anywhere soon.

Well how about Gaucho then? They’re in Brum, Leeds, Manchester and Edinburgh...

Ash

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Looks like Las Iguanas in Mermaid Quay has gone. It was closed this lunchtime with a couple of notices taped to the doors and windows. Didn't have time to check out what they said, unfortunately.

Amoore

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:16 pm

One of the busiest restaurants in the area.

I understand that the units on Mermaid Quay have had a ridiculously high business rates increase this year, so don't be surprised to see more closing before the year is out.

MattW

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Ash wrote:Looks like Las Iguanas in Mermaid Quay has gone. It was closed this lunchtime with a couple of notices taped to the doors and windows. Didn't have time to check out what they said, unfortunately.

I don't think it is - just walked past it and it is packed full of customers..

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm

It's still showing on the website. more likely had to close temporarily.

jonnywill25

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Tim Hortons are currently trying to offload their lease for their unit on Woking Street. It would seem they ran before they could walk in Cardiff... They haven't been in this location long? 6 years remaining on their lease.

Furthermore, despite refraining from closing this restaurant, Prezzo are also advertising the lease for their unit on St Mary Street.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum