It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 am

Jantra wrote:@Bishop

Isn't that social engineering - tge residents dislike being associated with canton or riverside so petition to have their own little area renamed pontcanna? What elitist nonsense

Much like in the late 90s/early 00s when the traditional part of St Mellons wanted some distinction from the new council estate which had sprung up in the 1980s - thus creating Old St Mellons.
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 am

murfilicious wrote:
Jantra wrote:@Bishop

Isn't that social engineering - tge residents dislike being associated with canton or riverside so petition to have their own little area renamed pontcanna? What elitist nonsense

Much like in the late 90s/early 00s when the traditional part of St Mellons wanted some distinction from the new council estate which had sprung up in the 1980s - thus creating Old St Mellons.

That's not quite the same is it? That's existing inhabitants wanting to differentiate between incomers whereas in the case of canton it's incomers wanting to differentiate between existing inhabitants.

In both cases it really is elitism

RandomComment

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 am

It happens everywhere. Near me, Surrey Docks and Rotherhithe are marketed and referred to as "Surrey Quays" and "Canada Water". Deptford Creek has become "Greenwich Creek". East Dulwich is stretching ever further into what was Peckham, and North Dulwich into Camberwell.

It is a bit snobby but there isn't much harm to these name changes.

Where the harm is more likely to come from is the actual change in character of an area. Long-standing residents may find that the shops and pubs they use close down, replaced or change in character; if its a gentrifying area, long-standing renters and first-time buyers from the area may find themselves priced out - although existing owners will be big winners; if its an area where a batch of new social housing has been built, owners may find increased problems with crime and anti-social behaviour and property prices may fall (thus actign as an incentive to differentiate as in "Old" St Mellons). But this is just the process of urban renewal and decay and is what happens in dynamic cities.

Anyway this is nothing to do with restaurants. I wanted to fly the flag for Whitchuch Village as a place where the quality of food has improved significantly in recent years. There's a collection of lounge/restaurants, indian, thai, Italian, delis, and the pubs have all upped their game. Plus a chippy which does the best chicken curry half n half in a 5 mile radius (you can even eat it sober!).

Kyle

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm with you with regards to Whitchurch. I love the place and travel down from Caerphilly now and then, even for non-eating out stuff. There's just something about the place I really like.

Jantra

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Not strictly cardiff, but the huntsman in Dinas is always worth a visit. The atmosphere is great and the food is always excellent

lucky

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 pm

I've been in Brixton for a couple of days and was intrigued by the unholy row there over a branch of Wahaca opening. Lots of sniffiness about "big chains" and defensiveness from the management - yet they have had a McDonalds and a KFC forever on the main road and the company is taking over a previously derelict site. I know which chain I'd prefer! Quite a difference from their welcome in Cardiff.

redragon

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Cardiff doesn't see itself as such a 'cool' place. Franky, I can't stand Brixton, find it totally overrated. Besides, they have plenty of smaller chains there which have restaurants all over London. What's the difference?

durhamcowboy

PostSun Oct 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this (or how to hyperlink!) but an interesting article from the other side of the world on Cardiff's arcades

http://www.traveller.com.au/cardiffs-ar ... ies-10lzeb

Simon_SW17

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Does anyone know where Five Guys is going to be and when it's due to open? Can't find any details online.

Cheers :)

Karl

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 am

Something called Steak of the Art opening up in the unit on the ground floor of Helmont House in Churchill Way according to -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... ew-7938357

Another steakhouse with the added twist of being an art gallery as well. That unit has been empty for a number of years so clearly this is good news. It also appears that the Council/Police are being less rigid in their application of the saturation zone. I remember that one of the reasons the unit was so hard to let was because the council wouldn't allow A3.

There appears to be a lot of steakhouses/bbq joints/posh burger places opening at the moment. I can't help thinking that maybe this is a bit of a fad. Be interesting to see what happens when it all becomes a bit passe.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum