It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

HalRobsonKanu

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 am

A unit in the Brewery Quarter is to host an indoor street food market.

This looks interesting and will add to the diversity of Cardiff's night life. My only slight disappointment is that I'd like to see more of these sorts of units in Central Market, building on the growing foodie scene there.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... t-15233368

Bishop84

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 4:12 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:A unit in the Brewery Quarter is to host an indoor street food market.

This looks interesting and will add to the diversity of Cardiff's night life. My only slight disappointment is that I'd like to see more of these sorts of units in Central Market, building on the growing foodie scene there.

Wasn't something like that proposed for the upper floor of the old Electricity Showrooms / Habitat on the Hayes, formally occupied by Burger & Lobster?

Owen

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:A unit in the Brewery Quarter is to host an indoor street food market.

It was discussed but a planning app has gone in to convert burger & lobster into offices

HalRobsonKanu

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 am

I think offices are a better use for that unit. The problematic access arrangements, as well as Burger and Lobsters rather ambitious prices (£20 for a burger anybody?) were probably what doomed that venture and would make it very difficult to make a success of any other sort of bar or restaurant there.

Andrew J

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 am

Why not? Cosy club across the way does OK and the old habitat store has so much character that it makes a bar/restaurant very appealing. Damn shame if it ends up as offices. It's a total waste of a prime unit. Such a shame Harvey Nichols didn't open their Beauty Bazaar there

jonnywill25

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:15 am

American fried chicken franchise, Slim Chickens has chosen St. David’s, Cardiff as the location of its second UK opening.

Famed for its succulent wings and chicken tenders, Slim Chickens will open in unit KLG16, which was previously occupied by EAT. Slim Chickens opened their first UK restaurant in London, March this year and submitted their planning application for their Cardiff venture last month.

An opening date/official announcement has yet to be made, however they’re currently recruiting the management team.

jonnywill25

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 am

Denny’s American Diner are currently recruiting for a Deputy General Manager. The location has been advertised as Cardiff Bay.

Denny’s opened their first UK restaurant in Swansea last year and recently announced Glasgow as the location of their second UK venture. It would appear Cardiff Bay is next on their list, but where?

HalRobsonKanu

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 9:57 am

Dennys looks like a pretty grim affair. Really hope it's not going to be occupying a prime location.

Amoore

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I'd guess somewhere in the Red Dragon Centre, possibly the unit in the car park that was Chiquito?

Amoore

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Had lunch in Pulse on Churchill Way today which has reopened after its refurbishment and I have to say as I walked through the door I was taken aback by the transformation. Quirky and a real departure from their rather vanilla offering before.

There's no photo of it during the daytime on their website but they've ripped out the grotty booths on the ground floor and replaced them with tall tables and benches, and most of the ground floor walls have been panelled with wooden planks. All feels very earthy, but strangely compliments the camp neon horror on the balcony level which is clearly more geared for night time.

Nice lunch too - they have have a new menu which includes Pie & Mash with pies from the Victoria Park Pie Company (arguably the *proper* Clark's Pie company but that's a debate for another thread).

I'm not too sure how I feel about their other new offering though: £4.99 all you can eat breakfast, but that's because it's on my doorstep and I'm meant to be on a diet. :cry:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum