It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:42 am


Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Mayo

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Sorry to wade into the Pontcanna/Canton debate but you may be able to help me with an ongoing argument! I live on Severn Grove and have always told people I live in Canton. My neighbour hates this and insists this is Pontcanna. The new Co-op has given her added ammunition by calling itself ‘Co-op Pontcanna’ This is actually on Kings Road but if I stick my head out of an upstairs window I can see it!! Who is right and where does Pontcanna begin and Canton end?

By the way – and getting back on topic –Bully’s is great but not what I would consider good value for money at all!!!

Jantra

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 am

Mayo wrote:Sorry to wade into the Pontcanna/Canton debate but you may be able to help me with an ongoing argument! I live on Severn Grove and have always told people I live in Canton. My neighbour hates this and insists this is Pontcanna. The new Co-op has given her added ammunition by calling itself ‘Co-op Pontcanna’ This is actually on Kings Road but if I stick my head out of an upstairs window I can see it!! Who is right and where does Pontcanna begin and Canton end?

By the way – and getting back on topic –Bully’s is great but not what I would consider good value for money at all!!!


Karl gave the best definition - Canton if you're buying and Pontcanna if you're selling. I'd consider Severn Grove Canton (if you turn your head the other way you should be able to see Boots), albeit one of the better parts. I appreciate others see it differently and maybe with those new people moving in to the area they want to rebrand it in the same way some people like to call Butetown, Splow and Tremorfa Cardiff Bay.
Offline

amp

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:50 am

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Pontcanna doesn't exist its riverside.
Offline

DaiB

  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 am

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Politically speaking, it’s certainly more correct to say Pontcanna is part of Riverside than it is of Canton. Romilly Crescent falls under Canton, but Severn Grove, Conway Road and Pontcanna St fall under Riverside. As for existence, again from a political point of view Pontcanna doesn’t exist, but then neither does the City Centre, Birchgrove, Maindy, Pentrebane, and a number of other districts of Cardiff that are referred to every day. Regardless of the whens or whys of Pontcanna’s origins as a known district, everyone knows where it is (bar vague border questions), shops name their branches after it, it has a high street and a park bearing the name, it appears on maps. It exists.

Jantra

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

anyway, back to the thread. I took the family to the smoke haus in Canton last weekend. I have to say I wasn't too impressed
Offline

Bishop84

  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

DaiB wrote:Politically speaking, it’s certainly more correct to say Pontcanna is part of Riverside than it is of Canton. Romilly Crescent falls under Canton, but Severn Grove, Conway Road and Pontcanna St fall under Riverside. As for existence, again from a political point of view Pontcanna doesn’t exist, but then neither does the City Centre, Birchgrove, Maindy, Pentrebane, and a number of other districts of Cardiff that are referred to every day. Regardless of the whens or whys of Pontcanna’s origins as a known district, everyone knows where it is (bar vague border questions), shops name their branches after it, it has a high street and a park bearing the name, it appears on maps. It exists.


It appears that the council are considering the creation of a distinct Pontcanna community taking it from Riverside. I've attached a link to the document on the council website and the bit on Riverside/Pontcanna is on page 9: https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/Your-Council/Voting-and-elections/Community-review/draft-proposals/Documents/Appendix%20E.pdf
Offline

VOG

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Mayo wrote:Sorry to wade into the Pontcanna/Canton debate but you may be able to help me with an ongoing argument! I live on Severn Grove and have always told people I live in Canton. My neighbour hates this and insists this is Pontcanna. The new Co-op has given her added ammunition by calling itself ‘Co-op Pontcanna’ This is actually on Kings Road but if I stick my head out of an upstairs window I can see it!! Who is right and where does Pontcanna begin and Canton end?

By the way – and getting back on topic –Bully’s is great but not what I would consider good value for money at all!!!


I've always considered Severn Grove to be the in Pontcanna myself, Severn Road however is definitely Canton, you need only notice the difference between the cars parked on both streets to see the difference between Canton and Pontcanna! I used to reside on Severn Grove and only recently moved to the Vale. If however I stand corrected and Severn Grove is considered Canton, perhaps you could refer to it as 'Treganna', the Welsh name for Canton?

Bully's - lovely! The only place I've seen foie gras on the menu in Cardiff!

Jantra

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

@Bishop

Isn't that social engineering - tge residents dislike being associated with canton or riverside so petition to have their own little area renamed pontcanna? What elitist nonsense
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 404
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Jantra wrote:
I'm finished with this conversation now, its new levels of tedium. You carry on believing you live in some elite area and you're part of something a bit aloof from the rest of us, after all, with your scathing repartee and rapier like wit you're demonstrating an intellect above and beyond the rest of us forumers.


A few days ago you said that you were finished with the conversation, yet here you are arguing and trolling as per usual.
Why?

Jantra

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:
I'm finished with this conversation now, its new levels of tedium. You carry on believing you live in some elite area and you're part of something a bit aloof from the rest of us, after all, with your scathing repartee and rapier like wit you're demonstrating an intellect above and beyond the rest of us forumers.


A few days ago you said that you were finished with the conversation, yet here you are arguing and trolling as per usual.
Why?


I was finished with you. Why is it that others respond and add to the thread you don't feel the need to suggest they are trolling? It's pavlovs dogs for message boards.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests