It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 pm


Eastern Bay Link

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 pm

dazplott wrote:I don't think there is any chance of a flyover at Ocean way. They haven't splayed the carriageway as new road joins the roundabout so there is no room for a ramp. They don't appear to have prepared for a flyover on the Queensgate end either, so I think they have destroyed any reasonable chance of there being fully grade separated EBL in the future. Whilst there is probably just enough space to dual Rover Way, its going to be a nightmare in terms of disruption. Its aways seemed a very poorly constructed roadway and will probably need extensive works to fully stabilise the ground. The early 90s route was along the foreshore on a viaduct/embankment with a possible intersection at Seawall Road. To my mind this remains the only feasible solution for a grade separated route. Best case, they might be able to drop the two existing roundabouts near the steelworks on Rover Way and provide an access road to the industrial units on the south side via a new roundabout at Seawall Road. Then you've still got the Tesco junction at the Lamby Way end and the docks access just off ocean way roundabout... unless you build a long bridge across the railway line from Ocean Way roundabout . Either way, I think the construction costs will be broadly similar to the first phase e.g. £50M/Km


I read this and decided to have a better look on Google Earth myself.

Since looking at it I honestly dont think we're going to get a completed Eastern Link. For a start, the Eastern side of Ocean way goes down a steep hill, followed my a wide railway line, immediately followed by Rover Way which runs parallel although to a much higher height.

Theres barely enough room to dual Rover Way, and even if they did, where would they put junctions to enter the industrial areas and scrapyards to the south? There isnt even enough room for an appropriately sized roundabout at-grade, forget a GSJ. Not to mention the access to these business would be non existent while dualling the road.

Alternatively you could put the route along the foreshore, but how expensive would that be? At least half the length of the thing basically would be elevated up to the A48.. the cost would run into the hundreds of millions very easily.

I would love for the whole A4232 to be completed, but I cant see it happening for a long, long time.
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 220
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 pm

moyceyyy wrote:
dazplott wrote:I don't think there is any chance of a flyover at Ocean way. They haven't splayed the carriageway as new road joins the roundabout so there is no room for a ramp. They don't appear to have prepared for a flyover on the Queensgate end either, so I think they have destroyed any reasonable chance of there being fully grade separated EBL in the future. Whilst there is probably just enough space to dual Rover Way, its going to be a nightmare in terms of disruption. Its aways seemed a very poorly constructed roadway and will probably need extensive works to fully stabilise the ground. The early 90s route was along the foreshore on a viaduct/embankment with a possible intersection at Seawall Road. To my mind this remains the only feasible solution for a grade separated route. Best case, they might be able to drop the two existing roundabouts near the steelworks on Rover Way and provide an access road to the industrial units on the south side via a new roundabout at Seawall Road. Then you've still got the Tesco junction at the Lamby Way end and the docks access just off ocean way roundabout... unless you build a long bridge across the railway line from Ocean Way roundabout . Either way, I think the construction costs will be broadly similar to the first phase e.g. £50M/Km


I read this and decided to have a better look on Google Earth myself.

Since looking at it I honestly dont think we're going to get a completed Eastern Link. For a start, the Eastern side of Ocean way goes down a steep hill, followed my a wide railway line, immediately followed by Rover Way which runs parallel although to a much higher height.

Theres barely enough room to dual Rover Way, and even if they did, where would they put junctions to enter the industrial areas and scrapyards to the south? There isnt even enough room for an appropriately sized roundabout at-grade, forget a GSJ. Not to mention the access to these business would be non existent while dualling the road.

Alternatively you could put the route along the foreshore, but how expensive would that be? At least half the length of the thing basically would be elevated up to the A48.. the cost would run into the hundreds of millions very easily.

I would love for the whole A4232 to be completed, but I cant see it happening for a long, long time.


Dic Mortimer mentioned this in a recent blog
Likewise, the 1km of new road currently being built between the Butetown tunnel and Ocean Way (a section of the A4232 that will still leave 3km to go to complete Cardiff’s southern by-pass, started 40 years ago – it’s taking longer than the bloody Pyramids of Giza!)


https://dicmortimer.com/2017/03/13/metro-going-nowhere/
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Thats an excellent blog post, I basically agree with everything said.

Update on the road, should be finished very soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aRian5FqBQ

The viaduct does seem wide enough to carry an extra lane in each direction if it is ever needed (at the expense of the footpath, and with slightly narrow lanes)
Offline
User avatar

Zach

  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 am

I'll say again it does look a very impressive(if costly) bit of construction.

But the road infrastructure each side will let it down. Regularly Ocean Way is at a stand still with queues to the A48 interchange east bound and the the tunnels/Leckwith/Culver/M4 west bound.

Luckily the designers thought of this, the new road is just over 1km and is fully duelled. Ocean way is 2Km and Central link is 500m duelled.
So the traffic jam will exactly fit :)
Offline
User avatar

Zach

  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Image

Interesting image.

I am still very confused as regard the funding/cost.

The Eastern Bay Link is a road that will connect Cardiff with the east of the capital. Costing around £27.3m (Dawnus 2016)

Project Value is £36m (Dawnus 2017)

The road's cost is £57m. (This figure has been used since 2014 by Edwina Heart)

I assume the construction cost is different than the entire budget due to CPO's etc.

Welsh Assembly financial scrutiny committee 2016/2017
March 2017
Extra £15 million for the Eastern Bay Link Road;
http://www.assembly.wales/laid%20documents/cr-ld10957/cr-ld10957-e.pdf
Does this now mean the road is now costing £72m
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 pm

I hope not, £72,000,000 for 1km of standard dual carriageway is a disgrace, I dont care how good the engineering is.
Offline

murfilicious

  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 pm
  • Location: Cardiff

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 am

Zach wrote:Extra £15 million for the Eastern Bay Link Road;
http://www.assembly.wales/laid%20documents/cr-ld10957/cr-ld10957-e.pdf
Does this now mean the road is now costing £72m


Likely - fairly sure I read that they had to create a longer viaduct than first thought...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...
Offline

daearegwr

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:13 am

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted but looks like the new road will have a 50mph speed limit eastbound and 40mph limit westbound. https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident ... 0FINAL.pdf
Offline

Simon__200

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 am

daearegwr wrote:Not sure if this has already been posted but looks like the new road will have a 50mph speed limit eastbound and 40mph limit westbound. https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident ... 0FINAL.pdf

What's the rationale behind that disparity. Both are pretty much identical short sections of dualed carriageway, separated by a similarly sized roundabout, aren't they?
Offline

dazplott

  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 am

I think it's because ocean way roundabout will only need part time lights as most traffic will be heading to or from rover way. Queensgate will probably need to be fully signalised at all times once the new road opens. Apart from peak times when rover way backs up, there will probably be bigger queues at the queensgate end
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests