It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Eastern Bay Link

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 6:46 pm

That's the state for you zach - the Welsh one being a particularly useless example.

Ash

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Zach wrote: It amuses me some other Welsh road schemes in the middle of nowhere get built even though they are hardly used e.g. Brecon dual carriage way by-pass being one example. Nobody used it, so the built another inner bypass in Brecon!!

The original Brecon by-pass is the most ridiculous road scheme ever but it's an object lesson in how planners can derive precisely the wrong lessons from previous failures.

It was built at a time when the Welsh Office highways development was obsessed by 'future proofing' following the discovery of just how much it was going cost to upgrade the A465 to dual-carriageway status.

It goes without saying that upgrading a road while keeping it open is far more expensive than building it to that standard in the first place. So for a short time it was decreed that any new A-roads in Wales should be built as dual carriageways - regardless of current or possible future traffic needs.

Brecon is the most egregious example of that policy being taken too far but in other areas it paid off. You only have to travel from Shrewsbury to Wrexham to see how the road improve the instant you cross the border. God only knows how many accidents there have been on the Oswestry by-pass over the years - but it's a lot.

Lyndon

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 7:12 pm

If you've been stuck behind a tractor for the last 15 miles the Brecon by-pass is worth absolutely every penny.

The new stretch of A470 between Builth and Newbridge-on-Wye has caused a similarly massive improvement in my quality of life.

murfilicious

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 11:45 am

While driving around the Bay on the weekend and noticed the area to the east of the Queen's Gate Roundabout (pictured below) is a hive of activity with lots of earth movers and large piles of excavated debris...

I know the original start date of this work was "late 2015" so could it be that work has, very quietly, started?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 12:12 pm

how much extra would it have cost to have a flyover? we are going to end up with an almost touching horseshoe shape of road, but not quite a circular.

looking at the overhead shot, it is clear (to me anyway) that the original plan was to have a flyover, which of course is the most sensible option

Cardiff

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Work has been ongoing for a couple of months now, they are building up earth on the one side so i assumed they were doing a fly over. People had been stood at the top of the unfinished ramp 'measuring stuff'in late summer last year, also another forumer posted about a company that was monitoring it for the council with drones.

Cardiff

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Looking at this image i dont think we are getting a flyover

murfilicious

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Cardiff wrote:Looking at this image i dont think we are getting a flyover

Reassuringly though, there looks likely to be space left to potentially add the missing flyover in the future
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Simon__200

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 11:16 pm

I think we're surely getting a flyover. That drawing is just some fag packet sketch someone knocked together. Surely the actual proper plans are public and available to view.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 12:42 am

I can't find any plans online except for the red line drawing above and a slightly better one on the WG website (below, which also doesn't show the ski slope continuing).

I can't imagine that it wouldn't do either, has anyone seen any proper plans?

http://gov.wales/docs/det/publications/140627-eastern-bay-link-image.pdf
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum