It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Eastern Bay Link

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jonbvn

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:54 am

Jeremy wrote:
This is the same plan from about 1980, nothing new here, but do not worry it will only take another 40 years to get around to Eastern Avenue but by then we will have self driving cars and the Llanedreyn junction will be a Stargate.

Personally, I am in favour of teleportation.

Beam me up Scotty! :D

moyceyyy

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm

dazplott wrote:I don't think there is any chance of a flyover at Ocean way. They haven't splayed the carriageway as new road joins the roundabout so there is no room for a ramp. They don't appear to have prepared for a flyover on the Queensgate end either, so I think they have destroyed any reasonable chance of there being fully grade separated EBL in the future. Whilst there is probably just enough space to dual Rover Way, its going to be a nightmare in terms of disruption. Its aways seemed a very poorly constructed roadway and will probably need extensive works to fully stabilise the ground. The early 90s route was along the foreshore on a viaduct/embankment with a possible intersection at Seawall Road. To my mind this remains the only feasible solution for a grade separated route. Best case, they might be able to drop the two existing roundabouts near the steelworks on Rover Way and provide an access road to the industrial units on the south side via a new roundabout at Seawall Road. Then you've still got the Tesco junction at the Lamby Way end and the docks access just off ocean way roundabout... unless you build a long bridge across the railway line from Ocean Way roundabout . Either way, I think the construction costs will be broadly similar to the first phase e.g. £50M/Km

Not having a grade separated Eastern Link would be monumentally stupid, though. Cardiff Council have an opportunity to build a motorway standard ring road, but they decide on roundabouts.. Not many cities in the UK have a completely grade separated ring road.. In fact he only ones I can think of are London, Manchester and Coventry. (if you could even call Coventry's one a Ring Road, due to it being so close to the city centre) It would be fantastic for Cardiff. But you never know, not splaying the carriageways is not enough evidence in my opinion.

Unless they grade separate it from Ocean way onwards (and have a non grade separated road from Ocean way to Queensgate).... Because if you think about it, not many people will be driving past the Bay to get to the other side of the city! It would save lots of £!

dazplott

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:17 pm

moyceyyy wrote:
Not having a grade separated Eastern Link would be monumentally stupid, though. Cardiff Council have an opportunity to build a motorway standard ring road, but they decide on roundabouts.. Not many cities in the UK have a completely grade separated ring road.. In fact he only ones I can think of are London, Manchester and Coventry. (if you could even call Coventry's one a Ring Road, due to it being so close to the city centre) It would be fantastic for Cardiff. But you never know, not splaying the carriageways is not enough evidence in my opinion.

Unless they grade separate it from Ocean way onwards (and have a non grade separated road from Ocean way to Queensgate).... Because if you think about it, not many people will be driving past the Bay to get to the other side of the city! It would save lots of £!

I wouldn't say "monumentally stupid" as it will cost more to make it fully grade-separated and there other transport "opportunities" vying for funding - the M4 relief road, Metro etc. The existing A4232 isn't really "motorway standard" either.

Actually, I think a lot of traffic does pass through the bay - not much actually exits via Pierhead Street or Hemingway Road - so I'm more disappointed that they don't seem to have allowed enough space for the eastern ramp of a future Queensgate Flyover. I would have understood if they deferred building the bridges but not to allow for it in the design seems extremely short sighted. However, I could live with a duelled Rover Way with a single at-grade junction between Ocean Way and Lamby Way - it wont be "fantastic" but would be an improvement on what we've currently got.

I think we've got to accept that the policy objective isn't really to provide a fast and convenient route into or out of the city/bay - its simply to keep the traffic moving and away from the city centre. Completion of the PDR has long been a pre-requisite for possible congestion charging or other changes to make road travel less attractive than other modes in the city centre.

Jantra

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Sorry to be pedantic but manchester doesn't have a grade separated ring road. Greater Manchester does but it's an amalgam of several different stretches of motorway.

Edit: the a4232 is no different from many other motorways, the m50 being an example. In Germany the autobahns consist of what we would call dual carriageways

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

The m60 is a ring road, I'm sure of it. It is in Greater Manchester, but its still Manchester in practicality, right?

Oh and when I said a4232 being motorway standard, I just meant as in it is grade separated :)

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Jantra wrote:Sorry to be pedantic but manchester doesn't have a grade separated ring road. Greater Manchester does but it's an amalgam of several different stretches of motorway.

Edit: the a4232 is no different from many other motorways, the m50 being an example. In Germany the autobahns consist of what we would call dual carriageways

The main reason that the a4232 isn't motorway standard while the m50 is, is because of the very bendy curves. Motorways shouldn't be that bendy. Look on a map and you will see what I mean. Admittedly the m4 north of Newport is bendy but it isn't as tightly curved as the a4232.

Jantra

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 6:11 pm

moyceyyy wrote:The m60 is a ring road, I'm sure of it. It is in Greater Manchester, but its still Manchester in practicality, right?

Oh and when I said a4232 being motorway standard, I just meant as in it is grade separated :)

The m60 hardly touches the city of Manchester, if we are looking at the city boundary

Zach

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSnEvVXy9o

Looks nearly finished there are vehicles on the raised section, just needs the barriers, street lights oh and some tarmac!

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Lovely engineering. Too bad it's not grade separated.

Interesting that the carriageways have been splayed quite widely on the western edge. Could we be seeing that junction being grade separated? Theres no way Ocean Way will be a GSJ anytime soon though.

murfilicious

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 am

moyceyyy wrote:Interesting that the carriageways have been splayed quite widely on the western edge. Could we be seeing that junction being grade separated?

I think that's exactly why it's been done. The "ski ramp" and break between the trees on this roundabout lends itself well to a flyover, I suspect it was removed to make this project more affordable. Leaving these wide splays will mean a flyover could be added in future if/when required
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum