It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

PostWed May 03, 2017 11:29 am

I don't think Cei Dolphin / Dolffin Quay is that bad, it will certainly create some development activity in an area that has stalled in recent years. There is the fact that it can be no worse that Celestia, which is a fucking shambles of a farce, which interacts with its surroundings precisely nish, which given the location is an absolutely tremendous result

lucky

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:30 pm

I'd believe them if the homes were going to be affordable ones - there are plenty of overpriced flats going empty already in the Bay, but what is needed across Cardiff is affordable housing. This scheme is not it.

Peiriannydd

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:52 pm

As much as I love tall buildings, I can't help but think the area needs a few more mixed developments like this one being proposed in Bristol's Redcliff Wharf:
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/so ... arf-scheme
Something that engages with the waterfront and gives people a reason to be in the area at all times of the day and night.

A tall apartment building is going to do little for the area's vibrancy as it'll be empty during the day and just add to traffic problems in the morning and evenings.

Simon_SW17

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:57 pm

It's a good design but it will totally dominate the area and block out the Porth Teigr development area. I am in favour of the A3 units along the front though, this area is a bit empty except for car parking spaces.

Suggesting that it's desperately needed is ridiculous, there are so many apartment blocks in the bay.

Cardiff

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Apartment blocks that are full with rental prices sky rocketing simon

MattW

PostTue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

Not sure if this has been posted before - Museum of Military Medicine planned for space next to Travelodge down the Bay..

http://www.asbriplanning.co.uk/statutor ... -medicine/

Jantra

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:19 am

I like it, it creates more of a streetscape and urban form that currently exists on the windswept butetown steppes

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:46 am

It's a good design but I don't understand the rationale of building it in Cardiff unless there really is a plan to "Britify" the Welsh capital.

What will be next? Maybe a Shrine to the Empire or a Museum of Our Glorious Conquest of the Heathen.

RandomComment

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:It's a good design but I don't understand the rationale of building it in Cardiff unless there really is a plan to "Britify" the Welsh capital.

What will be next? Maybe a Shrine to the Empire or a Museum of Our Glorious Conquest of the Heathen.

*sigh*

They wanted to modernise their facilities and attract more visitors, so were looking for an area with a decent tourist economy. Cardiff was one of a number of places they examined and apparently the council were very keen and went out of their way to help them find a site, support the securing of funding etc.

I agree the historical links with the city are pretty tenuous - somewhere like Plymouth or Portsmouth would seem a more natural home. But if you want a maritime location that gets decent footfall, is "outside the South East", then Cardiff Bay probably ranks pretty highly. This conspiracy malarchy is just a bit ridiculous. They don't need to worry about Wales going the way of Scotland - support for independence around 10%, and the Tories (Unionists) on course for a plurality of Welsh seats.

Anyway I love the design - if it looks anything like that. The one worrying thing is the disclaimer against every one of the full renders:

"Artistic Impression only. NTS. Not to be interpreted as a verified view. Materials, finishes and their visual appearance may be altered during final design and construction."

It seems the design is fixed structurally - and it seems a good set up for a museum, especially with the 'narrative' ramp - but the materials could change. I would expect it'll look rather less "transparent" than shown: they'll want to darken the windows and perhaps use less glass than shown for reasons of environmental control and energy efficiency.

Zach

PostTue May 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Museum of Military Medicine planned for space next to Travelodge down the Bay..

What then is going in the old Cardiff Bay Railway Station? Was this not a Military Museum site?
Or can they not be ars*d to renovate and preserve old buildings, just display old things in brand new buildings!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum