It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 am

Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

elgdav

Re: Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:16 pm

http://jomec.co.uk/thecardiffian/2017/0 ... s-housing/

They've started work on the canopy roof already

RandomComment

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Zach wrote:
Museum of Military Medicine planned for space next to Travelodge down the Bay..

What then is going in the old Cardiff Bay Railway Station? Was this not a Military Museum site?
Or can they not be ars*d to renovate and preserve old buildings, just display old things in brand new buildings!

I think either they got out-bid for it or they decided it wasn't fit for purpose and someone else has come in with a proposal. In any case, latest planning app for the old station is for offices in the original station building and A1/A3 and so-called live-work units (which actually just appear to be flats) in 3-storey extension on the area covered by the canopy.

They say the new building isn't trying to "mimic" the old building but whereas a good very modern extension could really complement the station (by contrasting with it), I think the proposal here just looks like a bit of cheap new build tacked on:

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_119015

There is also no access between the old and new buildings in the plans. It appears to just be a new building tagged onto the side of an old one. They talk about this respecting the structure of the existing listed building... but I think it will reinforce the problematic relationship between the two caused by the basic exterior design of the extension.

Cardiff

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Karl

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am

There is an application in to demolish the Coffee Mania pod at Mermaid Quay.

The rationale behind this is to facilitate majot investment by Schroders in Mermaid Quay and the surrounding public realm. I hope this is true as it's looking dated. I wonder if they are considering altering the car parking provision? It always struck me as a bit of a temporary looking building. Could be reconfigured so there is commercial on the ground floor maybe?

Although I quite like the design of the pod by removing it there will be a small square created which could be used for events, stalls etc. Lets hope the public realm is good quality

lucky

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Bugger. Best coffee on the Quay and nowhere else that has views like that. Well, 'spoons, but the coffee's nowhere near the quality.

redragon

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Shame to lose a rare non-chain but the news of public realm work is definitely welcomed. It's all a by mismatched and piecemeal at the moment. A comprehensive overhaul would be good. I mean, it must have actually been in place for a long period of time now?

Is that weird temporary raised ramp still down there, outside Salt? What was that for?

elgdav

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes the ramp is still there, I was told it's covering up a sinkhole.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum