It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

PostTue Nov 07, 2023 10:59 am

It would be expensive but I feel that Wales is generally quite unambitious with transport projects. This is in no small part due to the chronic underfunding by the UK government.

If the Ferry Rd track bed from Grangetown had been preserved there could have been a station added relatively easily, but this has been built on now so is no longer an option.

Mplan3

PostFri Nov 10, 2023 2:53 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:It would be expensive but I feel that Wales is generally quite unambitious with transport projects. This is in no small part due to the chronic underfunding by the UK government.

If the Ferry Rd track bed from Grangetown had been preserved there could have been a station added relatively easily, but this has been built on now so is no longer an option.

Yes I honestly found this quite frustrating. While new housing is welcome, it has probably prevented any future tram extension down to the sports village.

If the extension was built it would have been able to serve IKEA, Ferry Rd Retail Park, and the Sports Village. It likely would have been quite a popular spur and definitely a missed opportunity in my book!

Ash

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 9:02 pm

Yes I honestly found this quite frustrating. While new housing is welcome, it has probably prevented any future tram extension down to the sports village.

If the extension was built it would have been able to serve IKEA, Ferry Rd Retail Park, and the Sports Village. It likely would have been quite a popular spur and definitely a missed opportunity in my book!

While this is sort of true, there is another option which is to run a tram line down the centre of Clive Street which is as wide as it is precisely because it used to have trams running down it. The line could continue through the back yards of the retail park. It's not as elegant (or as cheap) a solution as using the old rail corridor but given the dearth of affordable housing in Cardiff, you can see why the housing association development behind Clive Street was allowed.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 9:13 pm

New development on the peninsular by the sports village. Lots more high rises, hopefully it will be a quality build rather than a lot of the cheap, rendered blocks built in the Bay.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plan-new-waterfront-district-cardiff-28506295

LRcardiff

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Giggling Squid have announced they will open in upper unit 9-10 on March 25th, work looks like it’s coming along nicely.

The Ken Picton Deli on lower unit 9 is a hive of activity and the horrible baby blue windows of Ridiculously Rich have been painted over a far more classy Black.

Longtime empty, unit 15 has a planning notice on the door for The Urban Chocolatier (sadly not a posh chocolate shop but a franchised rather low end dessert shop) but I suspect will be popular with students of the international school if it survives to see the school open (2026?)

Leaving just a four units unoccupied. Unit 22 on the corner by hubbox (would have been a better location for giggling squid but possibly not big enough for them) The old Carluccios/Gin and Bake unit by The Dock and two smaller units on the Bute Street section that seems to have been pretty cursed. The Dog Groomers sadly didn’t last long.

On St James Street I am excited about the Brod Bakery opening, can’t help but thinking it would have a better chance of surviving in Mermaid Quay but rates are probably a lot more and hopefully the strength of its existing stores and brand should be a draw for customers.

Brian62

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 11:23 am

Ken Picton deli is open and Magic Wrap has opened in the old Costa Coffee unit a couple of doors along.
Club House has been rebranded as the Botanist.
JRC Global Buffet has closed and is moving to Stadium Plaza according to a note on the door.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum